Some assistance in finding a compatible motherboard

Inafune

Solid State Member
I'm new to building computers. I made mine a year back, with the help of a friend.
Two months after making my computer, due to my naivety, I went a bought 4 sticks of 4GB RAM (PC3-12800 (1600)) called Vengance.
I now have the money to get a new motherboard, to make use of this RAM, but I don't want to have to take any chances.
If anyone could advise on a suitable motherboard, that is compatible with my current components (and wouldn't need to be OC'd in order to run the RAM) then I would really appreciate it. Because my current motherboard would need an over-clock, and I don't really want to do that :S

My current components are as follows:
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 840
Current motherboard - MSI 870-G45 (MS-7599)
2 x 2GB RAM - DDR3 666.7MHz
GPU - Nvidia Geforce GTX 460

In order to use that RAM with my motherboard, I need to over-clock my motherboard.
I don't know how to OC a motherboard, and I don't want to break anything. This is why I assumed it would be best to get a new one.

My current motherboard doesn't support the use of 4 RAM cards; although it does have the slots, but needs to be OC'd to make use of them.
I tried using them. When I turned on the PC, with the RAM I'm trying to use in the 4 different RAM ports, the computer wouldn't boot. My monitor just remained black.

Make sure your timings are set correctly in the bios and the speed. You don't need to OC at all for them to work.
Put 2 sticks in at first, and if it boots go in to the bios and set timings, voltage, and speed accordingly (there will be a multiplier). You will have to do this with most boards if these sticks will not simply boot up with auto settings. You can set it with your current RAM too and if it doesn't work that way just simply reset your CMOS.

I'll give this a shot. Thanks :)

I must ask though. If I reset my CMOS, is it going to wipe anything from my computer. I know that the BIOS and the HDD are two different things altogether, but I worry a lot.
Also could you please explain exactly how I adjust the speeds, and what to adjust them too. I found a video on youtube before explaining it, but it made no sense to me.
I appreciate all the help thus far. Thanks!!

No it just clears your bios settings.

When you go in to your bios go to the "Cell Menu".

Go down to where it says FSB/DRAM Ratio. Use the one that makes it go to 1600. Simple as that.

Here is exactly what you need to change.

Dram.jpg

The yellow arrow shows the area to adjust the timings for the new kit but they shouldn't need to be adjusted.

The red arrow shows where to manually set the RAM voltage.

No, if you reset your CMOS it just resets, date time and all bios settings to factory default, it doesnt touch your data on the HDD.

Back
Top Bottom