"Reboot and select proper boot device" please help!

braz

Daemon Poster
This started out of nowhere, I woke this morning and turned on my pc and now my pc sits at the motherboard boot screen and then after about 10 seconds it says "reboot and select proper boot device." I reset my BIOS and checked the boot order, still nothing. I only have one hard drive. I tried putting my windows 7 disc in to repair windows, but I need a keyboard that isn't USB to navigate and repair. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I don't understand how I didn't change a thing over night and now this is happening. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Have you checked and confirmed that the power cable is properly connected to the Hard Disk as well as the IDE / SATA cable at the Hard Disk and motherboard - might also want to try disconnecting and re-connecting the Hard Disk just in case of a loose connection.

Also, does it sound like the platters in the HDD are spinning as normal?

Could be physical damage, or corruption (of logical data) on the Hard Disk - corruption to any of the following preventing Windows 7 from booting: Master Boot Record, boot sector, Boot Configuration Data store.

In case of data corruption, you'll want to boot into the Windows 7 Recovery Environment (any Windows Vista or Windows 7 setup disc) and try the following:

1. Startup Repair
2. 'chkdsk /R' via command prompt.
2. 'Bootrec.exe' tool - Use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

If you find that your USB keyboard doesn't work outside of Windows, check your BIOS options for an option along the lines of 'USB Legacy Support / Mode' and enable it, then try booting into the disc again and see if your USB keyboard works.

Last edited:
Hi,

Have you checked and confirmed that the power cable is properly connected to the Hard Disk as well as the IDE / SATA cable at the Hard Disk and motherboard - might also want to try disconnecting and re-connecting the Hard Disk just in case of a loose connection.

Also, does it sound like the platters in the HDD are spinning as normal?

Could be physical damage, or corruption (of logical data) on the Hard Disk - corruption to any of the following preventing Windows 7 from booting: Master Boot Record, boot sector, Boot Configuration Data store.

In case of data corruption, you'll want to boot into the Windows 7 Recovery Environment (any Windows Vista or Windows 7 setup disc) and try the following:

1. Startup Repair
2. 'chkdsk /R' via command prompt.
2. 'Bootrec.exe' tool - Use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

If you find that your USB keyboard doesn't work outside of Windows, check your BIOS options for an option along the lines of 'USB Legacy Support / Mode' and enable it, then try booting into the disc again and see if your USB keyboard works.

Hard dive sounds like it is running normally, the USB legacy mode is enabled but I still can't use my keyboard in the windows setup when I put the disc in.

I was able to get my keyboard and mouse to work, the windows disc is not recognizing my hard drive at all. I ordered a new one :/

Back
Top Bottom