My first Build

Unless you actually plan to use the 4 pci-e slots, get an asus z77-v or something similar.
This is just me and PP Mguire will disagree, but I would get a single 8gb ram stick instead of two 4gb sticks. That way, in 6 years or so, (or whenever more than 4gb can finally be utilized by not yet existent native 64 bit games), you can just buy three 8gb sticks and add them to your board instead of buying four and replacing those two 4gb sticks. That will save you a few bucks later.
Sure, use one stick and lose half your memory bandwidth by dropping to single channel.

In 6 years 90% of people here wont even be using DDR3 anymore.

8 gigs is STILL overkill and unneeded by 95% of users

well.... 8 gigs yes, but considering you more or less have to have that much in 2 or 4 sticks means it is just right. playing games and a few other programs and whatever windows does i can sit at 6 gigs easy

but essentially never more than that...

also what pp said. 1 stick and you are down to a single channel. that's silly and would be noticeable.

Looking at the gigabyte UD5H WB because it has a wifi Bluetooth card with it. First pick was the G1 sniper. Went with the AsRock because of a suggestion and after more research picked the pro and because the G1 sniper mobo would not fit any of the cases I picked. But from the start I liked the gigabyte mobo best. So question should I just go with a separate wifi Bluetooth card? As for the filters I was thinking about if I could add them, can I buy or would I have to fab. Why the themaltake over the one I picked. OH because I didn't list it, the Corsair professional Hx650 is the one I picked. OOPS on the windows 7 meant to pick the OEM. Other people on other forums are saying to go with a different SSD, like the Samsung 830, crucial M4, or OCZ vertex 4 instead of the Intel. Is this just a preference HELP!!! Because I have to research all suggestions to find out for myself. I like to know why. On the GPU the numbers are so close am I even going to notice? Or is radeon hd 7870 really that much better? Being that I'm learning I am on info over load all the numbers and specs I can make sense of seem to be so close. Trying to filter out preferences and opinions over facts, price, reviews and personal reviews AAAAHHHH!!!!!! Going NUTS!!!

CPU
Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core
$184.99

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB ATX LGA1155
$209.98

Memory
G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

Storage
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM
$59.99

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5"7200RPM
$59.99

Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB 2.5" SSD
$119.98

Video Card
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB
$229.99

Case
NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower
$104.98

Power Supply
Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
$94.99

Optical Drive
Lite-On iHBS212-08 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
$117.24

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit)
$127.99

Total 1350.11
Still going back and forth on the blu-ray I'm also looking at the
Pioneer Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 10X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner With BDXL Support BDR-2207 What does everyone think of just going with Windows 8 ?If it comes down to price I'll spend a couple more dollars even for a few options I may not need right now, but my need latter, or maybe not at all, this is were I need everyone to tell me I'm missing something or my need in the future . Want to make sure what I need is there! If I have to pick another mobo for 1 more sata port I will. Don't want to save for a lesser part. Better for less GREAT. SO with all that said I like to be exact and I do over analyze everything. There is a term for that (ANAL) right HAHA.

I wouldn't go with any other SSD besides the Samsung 830 or Intel 520. Puddle could tell you which one is better, but since most people don't go with Intel I will personally suggest the Samsung over it.
On the GPU, the 7870 is faster than the bare 660, but the 660ti is faster than the 7870 and sometimes the 7950 too. Personally, I would ditch getting such an expensive board as I've said before and just use the extra money on a 660ti. Just me though, as between boards you will see no performance difference. It all lies on what GPU you have. On that note, get an eVGA instead. WAY better customer support than Gigabyte.

I'll make note here, I put everything down as pure fact unless I put "personally" or "IMO" next to it. Usually, those are closely related to lots of personal experience. Because of that I will say IMO an ASRock or Asus (in that order) will be better than the Gigabyte board. Gigabyte has been known to be slipping this past year and their customer service is almost non-existent.
As for Bluetooth and Wifi, just get the extra USB dongles instead. My Intel board has one of those USB Header Wifi/Bluetooth attachments and the performance is pretty crap if you ask me. Worst part is, the Wifi chip is a Ralink which matches the Asus PCI-E Wifi card I have.

As for Windows, 7 all the way.

motherboard is almost twice what you should be spending. thats called wasting your money.

the blue ray burner... seems like you can get everything for cheaper:
Newegg.com - LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner,3D Play Back (WH14NS40) - Blu-Ray Burners

use the saved money to up your cpu to a 3570k
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

from what ive heard, intel has the fastest ssd's with the lowest return rates. they get a bit more for them too.

With all the reviews I've read and watched. All the numbers on components I've compared.
If any thing for the blu ray my other choice is Pioneer black BDR 2207. Would never go with one stick of RAM with dual channel. For the extra 35$ the i5 3570K. As for the Wifi it comes with its own PCIe card GC-WB300B, not on the board. one of the many web sites i went to for the GPU. PassMark Software - Video Card Benchmark Charts Hell as fast as things are advancing 6 yrs is a long time to last. I know higher price does not mean better, but numbers and reveiws do. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kYbc .well let me have it. Thanks :)

Last edited:
I'm telling you right now you wont tell a difference but if you want to spend the extra cash go for it. I'll say this, I can't tell the difference between my 3960x and 2500k in basic tasks. The only thing this CPU stomps on the 2500k with is folding.

As I said before, eVGA for the video card. If you ever need to RMA for it whatever reason Gigabyte will give you hell. Same for the board. Since the board comes with an add on wifi card I see no point getting a better board just for the extras when you can get better extras for half the cost BUT I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here so again.

Back
Top Bottom