Not enough power?

These are the results from my CPUID readings. Values were reset beforehand. I ran Borderlands 2 for about 2 minutes gameplay when the screen started to freeze up. Had to control-alt-delete and then reenter the game, but it kept on freezing up after just a few seconds, then it would be good again for another few seconds. By the way, I set all the graphics settings to MAX.

Also, I included a photo of what my screen looks like when it froze for the third time. Notice the small red pixel grains on the center left side, and the weird black splotch on the right. The other pixel effects was from the camera, don't mind them. My display driver started to crash every few minutes now after exiting the game!

Attachments

• cpuid.png
    cpuid.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 5
  • borderlands 2 test.jpg
    borderlands 2 test.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I just ran Furmark at its basic burn-in settings. GPU temp peaked at about 61C and fan was set to 85% (max) during this test. It was working for about 3 minutes, then the screen went black and I got NVIDIA OpenGL driver error 3. I also got the windows kernel mode driver error. The application closed itself too. My drivers for the GTX 680SC are most up-to-date already.

Ran it again using the 1080p benchmark test. Seemed to score alright. (first image)

Ran it one final time using 1920*1080 resolution with x8AA. (second image)

Attachments

• furmark2.png
    furmark2.png
    54 KB · Views: 2
  • furmark1.jpg
    furmark1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Silly, but if all these tests show that my hardware is working, then does it all come down to a driver issue?

No it could be something else. If you have the CPU at stock while doing this then try downclocking your video card. Temps are ok all the way around but these screens and the driver crashing are pointing towards a pre overclocked card that is unstable. I always recommend the reference cards for this reason.

Yep, sounds like the overclock is bad since the driver is crashing. Few other things that can cause it, but overclock is the most likely suspect. Just because it handles the OC at the factory, doesn't mean it will handle the pre-oc out the door.

Wow, that's dissapointing. I thought buying the superclocked version of the EVGA GTX 680 would give me a slight edge. How can I go about downclocking my GPU using EVGA Precision? I want to be careful as not to do anything wrong. My NVIDIA driver still displays the un-superclocked 680 stats.

I think this guy has the same problem as me:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1735583
I don't use the signature edition though, which has slightly more factory OC.

Also, slightly digressing, can somebody explain to me why my USB ports on the mobo, chassis, and drive bay mods keep on disconnecting themselves randomly, sometimes not even detected? It's annoying when this happens and the devices themselves are usually still powered on. And one more thing...why my HDMI only works on the graphics card and not the mobo (worked before for an out-of-case pretest install).

Last edited:
Another problem it could be is your cards clocks jumping all over the place. All you should have to do is lower the slider on the base and boost clock to down clock it. I would try 100mhz first.
Having a 680 to begin with gives you an edge because there is hardly anything that really utilizes its power.

I can't explain your USB ports, but the HDMI is because the board HDMI port is tied in with the HD 4000 IGP sitting in your CPU. It is automatically disabled when a separate card is installed into the machine.

Do you have disconnect issues when you take some of the USB devices off?

I would say 1 of 2 things... 1: the pre-overclocked card is not stable ( which shouldnt happen ) 2: the specs you listed below... mabey you dont have enough power... you only got 750 watts... with a 3770k and the H100... i dont know... most people would say thats enough power... but it may be a factor in this problem.

- Jackel1337

I would say 1 of 2 things... 1: the pre-overclocked card is not stable ( which shouldnt happen ) 2: the specs you listed below... mabey you dont have enough power... you only got 750 watts... with a 3770k and the H100... i dont know... most people would say thats enough power... but it may be a factor in this problem.

- Jackel1337
You could run that rig on a 650w TX easily. Something is unstable and you are the third person to point to the video card.

680 requires 550w minimum PSU for full rig.
3770k is a 95w TDP CPU.

Another thing I could think of is all them USB devices are making it unstable somehow.

Back
Top Bottom