Building my first gaming rig.

Griime

Beta member
Hi :)

I am looking to build my first gaming PC, I'm no expert on computers so would love some hints and tips from anyone willing to share their knowledge. My budget is around £500-650 but would like to stay as close to £500 as possible. I will also be using my own HDD + CD drives for now. After speaking with my brother who has built a couple of rigs before and browsing the web, I have gathered up a rough idea of some components which to a newbie like myself seem to be fairly decent:

Mobo - Asus P8Z77-V LX Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel.. | Ebuyer.com

Memory - Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Memory Kit.. | Ebuyer.com

CPU - Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache.. | Ebuyer.com

PSU - Corsair TX 650W V2 PSU - 80plus Bronze Certified | Ebuyer.com

GPU - Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini.. | Ebuyer.com

SSD - OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 SSD 2.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Read.. | Ebuyer.com

Case - Coolermaster Elite 334U Case | Ebuyer.com

I will also be buying as many parts as I can 2nd hand/Refurbished from Ebay, is there any parts you would suggest not buying 2nd hand due to reliability or other reasons?

Thanks in advance.

That processor surprised me for its value. I haven't even managed to buy a graphics card yet, but with the same 8GB of RAM running on my build, i can still run several games on medium settings, with the most resource heavy being Total War: Shogun 2, which i think i have on medium. Best choice i made for my computer!

Those parts look good and it's a better idea to pay more and buy them from a reliable source. Buying even one thing from ebay or some place has a pretty high failure or ripoff chance. Buying a lot of expensive things from somewhere like that is an even worse idea.
Also, you only have one 120GB SSD on there. While SSDs are very fast and have a much better price per gigabyte than they used to, it's still expensive for not a lot of space. You can get away with that SSD for a little bit, but at some point in time you will need to buy a hard drive (like a large HDD). They are easy to install and everything but don't expect not to run into storage problems at some point.

Those parts look good and it's a better idea to pay more and buy them from a reliable source. Buying even one thing from ebay or some place has a pretty high failure or ripoff chance. Buying a lot of expensive things from somewhere like that is an even worse idea.
Also, you only have one 120GB SSD on there. While SSDs are very fast and have a much better price per gigabyte than they used to, it's still expensive for not a lot of space. You can get away with that SSD for a little bit, but at some point in time you will need to buy a hard drive (like a large HDD). They are easy to install and everything but don't expect not to run into storage problems at some point.

I don't mean to be rude, but before posting please read the whole OP. He mentioned for now he will be using his HDDs and optical. So when he gets his SSD he will have extra space. An FYI, I used to run a 64GB SSD by itself no problems, and now run a 120GB SSD no problems. Just don't install a bunch of useless crap or store any files on it.

Back
Top Bottom