Your CPU and modern games: A guide to those building.

Can this be a sticky until the next batch of Intel CPUs or real demanding games come out? Piledriver performance single threaded still blows so those wont matter to this guide.

That is what I made it for.

Little birdy has told me that the Intel Celeron chips that will be released soon based on the Ivy Bridge silicon will be some very good options for cheap gamers. $40 chip that will smoke older i3s and higher end Athlon X2s and C2D chips.

If Intel ever releases a celeron that is $50 and beats my 965BE, I would be... beyond thrilled, because I could then start phase 2 of my project prior to getting phase one finished...

That is, provided, the motherboards they have can handle 4k video on an igpu and still stay cheap...

If Intel ever releases a celeron that is $50 and beats my 965BE, I would be... beyond thrilled, because I could then start phase 2 of my project prior to getting phase one finished...
A Celeron processor actually being faster than something... best crap I've heard all day. :p

That is, provided, the motherboards they have can handle 4k video on an igpu and still stay cheap...

Depends on the task honestly. Single threaded tasks these IB Celery chips will smoke your Phenom. They are dual core non HT non IGP chips running around the 2.6ghz mark for about 40 bucks though. Still, for 40 bucks, that is one hell of a chip. The only problem I see is there are no boards cheaper than 80 bucks that will support them.

Jesus.
Nice post!

BTW, I didnt know people still even used Pentium. Dinosaur shiz!

I was still using a Pentium dual core 2.93Ghz (could never find a technical name for it) until a month ago, when i switched to my 2500. I still don't have a graphics card, but the change is phenomenal. Regardless of my internet connection - Youtube videos were always lagging quite badly, and i couldn't even render simple gradients.

If you go onto youtube and switch to 'large player', you see a nice, smooth black to gray gradient. I saw 4 blocks of black to gray shades. It was painful.

My i5 on the other hand has been brilliant. I can play Shogun 2 and SW:TOR perfectly fine with no graphics card, and i am currently in the Planetside 2 Beta, which is running... alright on the lowest possible graphics settings. I think to continue playing that, i will need to get a graphics card soon - but still, i'm not having any major lag issues right now.

Back
Top Bottom