And what of the next one?...

I see... But I use my laptop on my desk more often than not. So does that make it a desktop? Come to think of it, if a person's big enough they could probably use their desktop on their lap. So would that make it a laptop then?... :hrmph:

In all seriousness though that does kind of answer my question. The heat will affect the performance and/or damage the other components in your compy right?

Also, I have grown rather fond of me jewels and I would hate to have me PC be responsible for destroying me royal vault.

I wouldnt recommend Lenovo, from my experience with my X220. Asus is solid, and gateway (surprisingly) is pretty good and cheap.
Lenovo is known to make workstation class computers for many many companies. They used to be rather pricey but the laptops I have seen on Newegg are pretty decent for the price. An equivalent Asus laptop was about 100 dollars more for the same thing.

Yep, the GT630 is the GPU. A very low end one at that, about a step above integrated. If you don't plan on gaming, that's about all you'll need and shouldn't really go with anything more because laptop GPU's put out a lot of heat, and suck down the power.
Well, it doesn't seem like gaming is in his agenda.

Because the most unnecessary things are worth having! :Determined:
Actually I don't really know. This would mainly just be a college laptop. Once I got into my actual profession I'd like to think that by then I would be capable of knowing what PC I would need and buying it.

Also, if I may ask, how much excess heat are we talking here? You know, compared to not having a higher GPU card.
Well think of it this way since you want to go into engineering, a dedicated GPU is just one more chip generating heat.

I see... But I use my laptop on my desk more often than not. So does that make it a desktop? Come to think of it, if a person's big enough they could probably use their desktop on their lap. So would that make it a laptop then?... :hrmph:

In all seriousness though that does kind of answer my question. The heat will affect the performance and/or damage the other components in your compy right?

Also, I have grown rather fond of me jewels and I would hate to have me PC be responsible for destroying me royal vault.
No the extra heat doesn't effect the laptop really unless you let it overheat from clogging the vents up with a blanket (bed use), or let it get filthy and full of dust. The machines are designed to run with their hardware within their cooling means.
Over all, it just makes it feel warmer to the touch. Honestly, most laptops don't get too warm unless you game on them.

No the extra heat doesn't effect the laptop really unless you let it overheat from clogging the vents up with a blanket (bed use), or let it get filthy and full of dust. The machines are designed to run with their hardware within their cooling means.
Over all, it just makes it feel warmer to the touch. Honestly, most laptops don't get too warm unless you game on them.

So what you're basically saying is that heat within the system's limits won't damage the computer. But if you maximize the PC performance by making each chip do extra work (like in gaming) then you run the risk of damaging the system? If so, is that the big risk of over clocking one's PC?

So what you're basically saying is that heat within the system's limits won't damage the computer. But if you maximize the PC performance by making each chip do extra work (like in gaming) then you run the risk of damaging the system? If so, is that the big risk of over clocking one's PC?
No. I'm just saying don't worry about heat if you keep your **** clean and aired out :D
Companies aren't going to stuff a laptop with parts and not keep them cool if you actually use them. Sure, things will be "warm" to the touch if not a tad roasty but that is normal for a laptop. Laptop parts have a higher tolerance to heat due to the lack of sufficient cooling in such a small space.

My school has the GOOD i7 Lenovo Workstations and some Xeons, still buggy.
Hardware doesn't make things buggy, software does.

They overheat a ton and freeze like crazy.

Are people sticking crayons in them? I've seen it happen before with public computers. Especially in school zones. (It doesn't matter if it's a college either. I once opened a disk drive in the computer lab at my college and a slice of bologna came out! o_O)

They overheat a ton and freeze like crazy.

School computers are rarely ever properly taken care of due to under paid lazy IT people. I would know, I ****ed with the IT team at my high school bad. It took them 2 weeks to fix a (oddly enough) Lenovo computer. All I did was crack the admin password for the whole school to gain full access to the computer, take off their monitoring software, remove Cleanslate, install SP2 and updates, install new drivers, install cracked updated copies of the software they had, install a WoW private server, run F@H, then customize the whole XP theme.

If they are i7s like you say, then odds have it they aren't overheating. The software being run in them is causing lock ups for whatever reason. The only way for an untouched OEM machine to overheat is:
Completely clogged of dust
CPU fan failure (unlikely) or
TIM dried up.

Since the age, it is highly unlikely of the last 2.
Schools install a ton of software to keep kids from getting into bad places like browsing 4chan or downloading an ass load of CP. Back in 2005 my school for its age and how poor it was took a great deal of care to keep kids from doing naughty things on the PC.

Besides all that, their name is still well known in the working industry where it counts. They don't make particularly bad or faulty products aimed at the usual consumer.

School computers are rarely ever properly taken care of due to under paid lazy IT people. I would know, I ****ed with the IT team at my high school bad. It took them 2 weeks to fix a (oddly enough) Lenovo computer. All I did was crack the admin password for the whole school to gain full access to the computer, take off their monitoring software, remove Cleanslate, install SP2 and updates, install new drivers, install cracked updated copies of the software they had, install a WoW private server, run F@H, then customize the whole XP theme.

:Overjoyed: Oh my god. That-is-awesome!! lol

If they are i7s like you say, then odds have it they aren't overheating. The software being run in them is causing lock ups for whatever reason. The only way for an untouched OEM machine to overheat is:
Completely clogged of dust
CPU fan failure (unlikely) or
TIM dried up.

Since the age, it is highly unlikely of the last 2.
Schools install a ton of software to keep kids from getting into bad places like browsing 4chan or downloading an ass load of CP. Back in 2005 my school for its age and how poor it was took a great deal of care to keep kids from doing naughty things on the PC.

Besides all that, their name is still well known in the working industry where it counts. They don't make particularly bad or faulty products aimed at the usual consumer.

This is true too. My old high school was notorious for trying run so many anti-access programs that the computers themselves barely even functioned.

Back on topic though, a Lenovo would be a pretty good PC then? I'll definitely add it up on my list.

Back
Top Bottom