Unalocated hard disc space.

askquest1on

In Runtime
Hey i just bought a new harddrive and am when installed it was missing 1tb hard disc space. For some reason im having trouble opening up the disc space for use.

Attachments

• disc.jpg
    disc.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 5
Windows sucks at managing hard drive partitions. Really badly.
You will need to download an Ubuntu Linux iso and either burn it to a dvd or make a bootable usb drive out of it. Then use gparted to format that unallocated space.
If you want to merge that into one drive, you can also do that from gparted (using the re-size button).
However if you make on big drive out of it you will need a windows 7 repair cd (Windows doesn't like it when you change the drive it's installed on) and plenty of time. Shrinking and expanding partitions without losing data takes a long time.
Next time you install Windows on a new drive, it's a good idea to just format the whole thing in gparted before doing ANYTHING to avoid stuff like this.

Neither one of those answer his question... Take a moment and observe what OP posts next time, and keep up with your technology, please. Before it costs someone time/money.

First: He has a drive that is over 2TB
Second: The drive is not his root drive where the OS is installed
Third: He didn't use GPT when formatting the disk.
Four: This article explains why he CAN'T use more than 2TB on that disk, Windows
Five: He must ensure he has the absolute latest SATA drivers for his controller, and that his controller DOES in fact support 2.5TB and larger disks.

Close to the bottom of the article I linked explains how he can fix his issue with out downloading something that windows is perfectly fine at handling.

Last edited:
Thanks c0rr0sive this solved my problem thank you. and everyone here at tech forums for such fast post responses.

Back
Top Bottom