I Want to Learn!

Binary Ranger

Banned
Hey guys! I want to learn how to overclock! Can anyone tell me how to go about doing this?

*cricket noise*

...Um, maybe my question must be in the form of an answer? Let's see...

"A website with good tutorials for complete newbies trying to increase their PC performance. Also a website that deals primarily with Windows based OS.

If that's too confusing, can anyone give me a good website for beginning overclocking? Preferably one with warning signs. If my computer has something to do with it, I am currently using an acer with an AMD Athlon II X2 P340.

If that's too much suck to even bother overclocking, at least give me the benefit of the doubt, I plan on getting a better computer soon. (As soon as my FEMA check arrives!... Bad joke I know.)

Not so much the CPU but the board we need to know about. If you don't know it then give a model and the power that be Google will tell me.

4 things you need to take into careful consideration before OCing is done.
1: Can my CPU be overclocked? Do I have an unlocked multiplier?
Some Intel CPUs cannot be overclocked the tried and true FSB (BCLK) way due to limitations with everything being tied together, in short and sweet. An unlocked multiplier is needed for these CPUs which are marked with a K on the end. AMD equivalent would be Black Edition, or K as well for the APUs.

2: Does my motherboard allow adjustment of FSB(BCLK) and voltage control?
You need to be able to raise your multiplier or FSB to increase your core clock speed. Without this, you don't OC. Some AMD systems can use Overdrive to raise these settings but a bios set OC is always best. In order to maintain stability at higher clocks it requires more voltage. Without extra voltage at higher clocks your CPU will crash.

3: With more voltage requires cooling. It isn't wise to OC on a stock heatsink, no matter what it is. You will need to fork over for some aftermarket cooling which can cost as cheap as 20 bucks up to 1000+. Sky is the limit really. A good CPU cooler is useless with a cheap ass case though. If you can't get air to whatever it is you are trying to cool then might as well give up.

4: RAM speed and dividers. Most modern boards allow you to set your RAM divider lower or higher to compensate for higher FSB(BCLK) clocks. If you can't do this, then your RAM must be fast enough to match a 1:1 ratio with your FSB because when you raise FSB you raise RAM speed too. A CPU with an unlocked multiplier doesn't do this, which makes those so easy.

Here is one guide that tells you the basics.
How To: Overclocking Your AMD Processor : Introduction: The Basics Of Overclocking

You can also just Google search "AMD Overclocking Guide" to get some results.

Some of that is a little over my head, but I get what you're saying in general. Some PC's can't be overclocked and others probably shouldn't be.

So in general is it better to overclock a custom built PC as opposed to a store bought PC?

I suppose I could google it, But I'd much rather get clarification as to what a good site is. You know, don't wanna read some guy's tutorial that explains how to completely ruin my system instead of improving it right? :p

It's not so much self built vs store bought. It's all in the hardware being used.

The point of my post was, if the very basics go over your head you need to learn a bit more ;)

A good piece of advice would be to learn more about the general hardware, their stock performance, and building first before even trying to OC.

So in general is it better to overclock a custom built PC as opposed to a store bought PC?
It isn't really a question of better, its a question of possible.
Most pre-built PCs won't even allow overclocking (Dell, HP, etc..), and some do but to a limited extent (Cyberpower/iBuypower, Alienware).

The benefit to custom built is you get to choose all of your hardware, so if overclocking is your thing you can make sure the system can handle it.

Like PP said its best to learn a bit about the basics first.
If you have the free time and money you can build an older rig just for practicing on, like an Intel socket 775 build. Overclocking has become much easier as of late, but going back a few years is much cheaper and gives you more rounded understanding of what you're doing.

Basically, if you want to OC, build it yourself. Your BEST bet. You wont make a phase change cooled OC PC your first try :\

Basically, if you want to OC, build it yourself. Your BEST bet. You wont make a phase change cooled OC PC your first try :\

Hah! Says you! I'm currently drawing up plans for a PC that will be cooled by urine! No more getting up and running to the bathroom in the middle of MY computer activities!
:Haters:

Aside from that, I do see you're point. Maybe at the end of this semester I'll look into constructing a personal PC of my own. I have a basic understanding of a computer's structure, but I lack knowledge in what parts would work the best.

...And I also kind of lack the knowledge of the internal programming on PC's. Like Overclocking. :B

Another note, you can't overclock laptops unless you have an "extreme" series chip from Intel. Even then, it's highly limited.

I sort of figured. I've never heard anyone mention that they were going to overclock their laptop.

Of course, I've never heard of anyone constructing their own laptop either. I'm guessing that's difficult to do? :p

Back
Top Bottom