Noob needs help with slight sleep problem on first build

SuperDa

Beta member
Hi Guys,
I am a new member as of today. I recently assembled my first PC from parts. And I am having a little trouble with the sleep/standby/hibernation mode (I am not sure which one it really is). I am running Windows 7 64 bit and the motherboard is Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3. I am not sure that my other components are necessary for you to know to assist me, if so, then I will check out exactly what they are when I get home from work.

I have Windows set to never sleep, and I went in and updated the advanced options to make the separate components never sleep. When I leave my computer on for a few hours is does sleep, and I cannot get it out of that mode unless I manually press the reset button, and then when Windows starts up it tells me that it was shut down incorrectly. I also messed around with the BIOS power configurations a little bit, I changed the ACPI suspend type from S3(STR) to S1(POS), which did not solve the issue, I put on the option to power up from mouse, but I still could not get it out of sleep mode by double clicking the mouse after I had done that.

Other than that, the computer seems to run fine, I've ran some games on it successfully, so I don't think it has anything to do with hardware compatibility issues. I think it has to do with the mobo, but I could be incorrect. My goal is to actually have the thing never sleep, or if it insists on sleeping, I want to easily be able to wake it up!

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

-SuperDa

Last edited:
Also, whatever mode it is in, the lights on the tower are on and the monitor is has the yellow standby light on. I've tried pressing buttons on the keyboard and moving around the mouse and double clicking the mouse, etc... and nothing happens. When I do reset the computer, the monitor and everything starts right up correctly. I do have both a wireless mouse and keyboard, I do not know if that would contribute to the problem or not.

You know that one block of pins on the motherboard thats like 2 wide and 5 to 10 pins long? I forgot what it's called. You might have those plugged in incorrectly. Have you double-checked the instruction manual for the motherboard?

Veraster, thanks for addressing my problem!

You mean the panel where you plug in all the wires built into the tower? I will double check it when I get home, but it was pretty straight-forward with the labeling on both the motherboard and the wires, so I doubt I messed that part up.

Yes that's the one I'm talking about. Are you sure that nothing is plugged in backwards (e.g. reversed polarities)?
What happens if you press the power button while it's in sleep mode?

Nothing. But obviously the power button works to turn the machine on in the first place. The reset button is the only thing that will get it out of this sleep mode, that it should not be going into in the first place. I will check to make sure that none of them are in backwards, but I do remember that I had plugged one in backwards when I was initially putting it together, so I double checked them all after that. Thanks again for your help.

I have kind of the same issue here (same motherboard). I never succeeded in solving it.

Updating the bios didn't work. So don't bother that. I went from version f7 to f11.

First time after installing all my pc components the computer could not stay in off-mode after shutting down from windows. After some (i dont know which) tweaking in the Bios I managed to fix that.

But sleep mode will instantly wake the pc after it has been put to sleep. Does anyone know an answer to how to fix this?

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
AMD Phenom II X4 965 38 °C
8,00 GB Single-Kanaal DDR3 @ 2852MHz (9-9-9-24) (well actually it's @1600Mhz, a mistake in reading i quess)
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-970A-D3 (Socket M2)
238GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series SATA Disk Device (SSD)

Of and i have a Coolermaster 460W PSU. Might I be short on watts?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom