Display Problem...All of a sudden...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartanM19SSM

In Runtime
Ok... here it goes...
I came home from school today...Started up Netscape, started up iTunes, and AIM and all seems fine...Then for some unknown reason my desktop is 1/8 smaller than it was and is blinking every 30secs or so. There is a part of the screen that is just black nothingness that i cant even navigate to with my mouse. I checked the connections for video card, monitor cable, power ect...no problems there. I then thought of my resolution...mabe a game made my resolution change or something...but nope, it was still as i had set it. I then set the resolution back a notch and the 1/8 part of my desktop is there again... but the blinking is still there... I tried changing the geometry of my screen with the buttons on my monitor but whenever it seems to be right... it blinks and 1/8 of my screen is gone again, and continues to twitch... I rebooted...same problem... I degaussed it...same problem...
Do any of you smart people know what is wrong and how do I fix it...cuz i wanna go play BF Vietnam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Oh yea I am runngin WinXP)
-Z

When you say it blinks, do you mean your screen goes black, or is it just flickering? If it is just flickering than chances are good you just need to turn up the Refresh Rate on your monitor. This is needed generally when higher resolutions are brought about. Right click on your Desktop, click the Settings tab, click Advanced, now you should see a tab called Monitor. In here look for the letters Hz, or the words Refresh Rate, and there should be a list you can open. In here increase your Refresh Rate to at least 85Hz. If that doesn't work, coooommmmeee on back! :D

Ok... When i change the refresh rate, it looks like it works, but then there is this REALLY loud ringing noise (like when u get hit in the head real hard)...So I turned it back for fear my monitor will start smoking... Will the sound go away or will it fry my monitor???
As for safe mode...it wont let me change the settings.....
-Z

Wow, never had that happen. How high exactly did you turn it up :O!? Also, what was it set as, and how high can it be increased?

Hmm, you sure it wasn't just you? Lol, reboot your comp and try it again. If you hear the noise, inform us.

Uh wow! How old is your monitor?!?! 85Hz isn't that high man... My monitor is a peice of crap and it handles 85Hz just fine! Some high quality monitors hit 110 and upwards! LMAO! I suggest getting a new monitor if you have the $$$ to shell out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom