Win 7 Slow HDD start up

rmNurse10

Baseband Member
I recently upgraded my computer from Win Xp to Win 7.

I have 3 Drives - 1 SSD for Boot and App, and 2 HDD (500gb each).\

What I have found is that when I want to open a file on one of the HDD, it take a few seconds, it sounds like the drive has to start spinning and then Win 7 accesses it. Win XP, I didn't seem to have that.

Is there some setting in Win 7 for this?

The specification of your drive will give us details... some drives are designed to save power which made them slower.

I recently upgraded my computer from Win Xp to Win 7.

I have 3 Drives - 1 SSD for Boot and App, and 2 HDD (500gb each).\

What I have found is that when I want to open a file on one of the HDD, it take a few seconds, it sounds like the drive has to start spinning and then Win 7 accesses it. Win XP, I didn't seem to have that.

Is there some setting in Win 7 for this?

Check the power managemenet settings. Start > Control panel > Power > Go into your active power plan > advanced settings > Scroll down to where it says Hard Disk > turn off HDD sleep (set to 0 minutes).

See if that helps.

Like Jayson said though, some drives automatically spin down to save power which, which in turn, requires them to spin back up before you can use it which can take a few seconds.

Thanx for the help.

In Win 7 the power option path is:

Start > Control panel > System Security> Power Options > Go into your active power plan > Change advanced settings > Scroll down to where it says Hard Disk > turn off HDD sleep after (I set to 40 minutes).

Still, it didn't seem to do much.

Thanx for the help.

In Win 7 the power option path is:

Start > Control panel > System Security> Power Options > Go into your active power plan > Change advanced settings > Scroll down to where it says Hard Disk > turn off HDD sleep after (I set to 40 minutes).

Still, it didn't seem to do much.

Couldn't remember for sure what the exact path was. Was going off of memory.

Back
Top Bottom