can you oc ddr ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

computer_wizz

Solid State Member
can you oc ddr ram??
does it just change the pc2700 part to higher im not sure about this i have oc cpus i have a 2.8 oc to 3.0 but i wanted to know if i could iprove me ram i have 512mb pc 2700

you can but it wont give a high a gain as a cpu does. mainly becuse ram doesnt usually have very good cooling. some sticks do have heatsinks and u can o/c . depends what make/model youve got. I dont think if uve got cheap ram that you will be able to get from pc2700 upto pc3200. sure others wil be more help than that

it's very possible. heat can be an issue so you will want good case ventialtion, and you also need a mobo BIOS capable of adjusting RAM mhz, voltages, ratios.

Value RAM won't do as well as good quality RAM 98% of the time...so you will want good RAM if you want igher results. If you dont want REALLY high overclock then value RAM will probably OK.

It can be a tricky business...but it has alot of benefits:)

I got my PC2700 OC'd to PC3200 speeds and with tighter timings at that! All using a Samsung PC2700 generic stick of 2.5-3-3-7 timings...I had it running at 200FSB at 2.5-3-3-6 timings and it passed memtest, but I've been having a couple reboots and freezes so I backed it down to 185FSB from 200, which is still above it's stock 166...

So yes it's very possible, even with ValueRAM, but it takes a lot of patience and know how, 4W is a good teacher also ;) He helped me get my RAM up there and steady.

those should cool fine, a fan isn't really needed unless you are pumping 3.4v into them lol. don't think you'll be doing that.

thats the same ram i have somsung pc2700 can you explain the procces that do i look for int he bios???
You need to be able to change your CPU FSB, Multiplier, Vdimm voltage, AGP Bus, and your RAM timings to be able to OC the RAM and sometimes also the North Bridge Voltage although I managed to get mine up without having to resort in upping that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom