PC won't start - how to install from scratch and other questions

Thanks. I had the same issue again this morning. I'll definitely be getting a new wifi card in the coming week. I'll update if it continues with the new card...

Update - I installed windows 7 over my vista os with the same driver and on my first restart, it happened again.

Being a fresh install and not having all the drivers for things like usb, gpu and monitors, and not remembering where these drivers were located in the pc, I allowed the device manager to search online. I also did the same for the router and it downloaded one I had not previously found online or through the manufacturer website for the product. The driver seems to have fixed the problem because I have had no problems with startup since then.

I guess it was the driver then. I don't know what could have caused the old driver I was using, which according to the linksys website was the latest and specific to the routers hardware version, to cause problems all of a sudden after years of usage. I don't think it was a Vista specific problem since I got the same startup loop after installing Windows 7. For now I'm just glad my pc seems to be working fine again and I was able to sort it out and save a few dollars :)

Update - I installed windows 7 over my vista os with the same driver and on my first restart, it happened again.

Being a fresh install and not having all the drivers for things like usb, gpu and monitors, and not remembering where these drivers were located in the pc, I allowed the device manager to search online. I also did the same for the router and it downloaded one I had not previously found online or through the manufacturer website for the product. The driver seems to have fixed the problem because I have had no problems with startup since then.

I guess it was the driver then. I don't know what could have caused the old driver I was using, which according to the linksys website was the latest and specific to the routers hardware version, to cause problems all of a sudden after years of usage. I don't think it was a Vista specific problem since I got the same startup loop after installing Windows 7. For now I'm just glad my pc seems to be working fine again and I was able to sort it out and save a few dollars :)

So, even it is running a microsoft generic driver, post what kind "model number" you have and let me see about locating a recent new one.

It's not a generic driver. I previously had the 3.0.3.0 driver which was the latest for the linksysy wireless-g pci card V.4 Now I have the 3.1.0.0 driver installed which works fine.

Actually, from a quick search just now, it seems that the 3.1.0.0 is the latest driver by a few months, I don't know why I wasn't able to find it when I was looking on the Linksys website though.

It's not a generic driver. I previously had the 3.0.3.0 driver which was the latest for the linksysy wireless-g pci card V.4 Now I have the 3.1.0.0 driver installed which works fine.

Actually, from a quick search just now, it seems that the 3.1.0.0 is the latest driver by a few months, I don't know why I wasn't able to find it when I was looking on the Linksys website though.

Atleast its works for now like you said, :D
If it does start this up again and is persistent on not working, just come back to this thread and see about upgrading that wireless nic card.

Best of luck to you. :)

Back
Top Bottom