My mineral oil project

My son's friend built one of these. Kinda cool as a conversation piece I guess but I personally have no interest in doing it. Good luck with it.

Cool! Be sure to keep us updated with pictures! I'd build one for myself if I had the money to spend and a place to put it.

How does that even work??!!

Mineral oil is non-conductive. Immersing electronics in a non-conductive material (fluid or not) has no effect on the electrical components of it.

The only harm that could possibly happen is the strain on fans from moving oil, due to it being "heavier" than air.

What carnage said. Mineral oil is non conductive. Meaning it won't short circuit. The mineral oil aparently keeps the PC cooler, or so I've heard.

Depends if you have the oil flowing. Oil is a good heat conductor, but the entirety of it could also heat up if the system overall is producing a lot of heat.

Where will you buy all that oil anyway? Also, it would probably be a good idea to make a case yourself instead of buying one of those grossly overpriced kits from puget systems. I wouldn't pay $600 for a kit unless it included computer guts.

Where will you buy all that oil anyway? Also, it would probably be a good idea to make a case yourself instead of buying one of those grossly overpriced kits from puget systems. I wouldn't pay $600 for a kit unless it included computer guts.

To quote the OP:

1. Get all the parts.
2. Get a 5 gallon fish tank.
3. Order 5 gallons of mineral oil online.

Never said he was buying anything from Puget. Pretty sure he's just going to get parts, a fishtank, and then get the mineral oil then build.

To quote the OP:

Never said he was buying anything from Puget. Pretty sure he's just going to get parts, a fishtank, and then get the mineral oil then build.
The OP didn't actually say he was going to buy anything from them. He did post one of Puget Systems's videos though.

Back
Top Bottom