End of the world build....lol

ThusToTyrants

Solid State Member
So I'm planning on building this before the end of the year, or end of the world, if you believe the Mayans conspirators :/ I already have the motherboard (Gigabyte Z68a-GD65 g3) and processor (intel i5-2500k), and will be getting these soon: Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg
The only thing I don't have on the list is an optical drive, but that is not a big decision, so I think I'll handle that one on my own......
So my main questions are these:
Is everything compatible? (I'm almost certain they are.)
Do I need more/less ram? (mainly because of the two gpu's)
Do I need an aftermarket heatsink?
Am I forgetting anything?

Well thanks if you take the time to reply. By the way, this build is for gaming(mainly) and school. I plan on overclocking in the future, when I understand more about it, and judging by my choices already, I think you'll be able to figure my price ranges..... thanks all!

Dual 660s is wasted on a single 24" monitor. For the price you could get a single 680.
On that note, that PSU is WAY overkill. For the dual 660s you only need 750w.
The rest looks fine.

Yes, if you want to OC you will need aftermarket cooling. I recommend the Corsair H series coolers, not huge chunks of metal.

I'd wait till after the Mayan "gods" return, and they bring us their great wealth of technology....

But barring that, yha go with just 1 gpu.
Whats the performance you lose by only having one of gpus instead two with SLI? Obviously, it's half the gpu speed but how good is one of those cards alone?

It's more, whats the performance gain from 2 cards... The game needs to be properly coded to take advantage of sli/xfire and thus its maybe only 70%.

But seriously, 80+fps on max, whats the use of even more?

Dual 660s is wasted on a single 24" monitor. For the price you could get a single 680.

I'm leaning towards two 660s to "future proof" for as long as I can, and eventually I'd like to add other monitor/s. I was told if planning on two gpu's, its better to get both at the same time, rather than get one, then add another later (this is just hearsay).... is this not true??

Getting a single 680 would probably make it more future proof than 2 660s just because non-SLI is easier to make programs for.
Most people that plan to buy a second card never do and end up replacing their old card with a new one instead of buying the second video card.

A single 680 is more powerful than a pair of dual non-ti 660s. Not only that, but the single 680 will max out games for probably the next 2-3 years. Also, the 600 series can handle 4 monitors per card, and my friend played on a single 680 with 2D surround until his second 680 came in. He said he had no issues until he used high amounts of AA. That problem is simply a lack of VRAM which having dual 660s wouldn't help anyways.

So I'm planning on building this before the end of the year, or end of the world, if you believe the Mayans conspirators :/ I already have the motherboard (Gigabyte Z68a-GD65 g3) and processor (intel i5-2500k), and will be getting these soon: Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg
The only thing I don't have on the list is an optical drive, but that is not a big decision, so I think I'll handle that one on my own......
So my main questions are these:
Is everything compatible? (I'm almost certain they are.)
Do I need more/less ram? (mainly because of the two gpu's)
Do I need an aftermarket heatsink?
Am I forgetting anything?

Well thanks if you take the time to reply. By the way, this build is for gaming(mainly) and school. I plan on overclocking in the future, when I understand more about it, and judging by my choices already, I think you'll be able to figure my price ranges..... thanks all!
I think all these are rally compatible. so you need not to change anything.

Back
Top Bottom