Downloading fiasco

Status
Not open for further replies.

quiksilver20

Beta member
Ok, i got this problem where i can download from webpages at 100k/s without hitchs, and soon as it comes to downloading music from programs like Kazaa, Imesh, WinMX, Napster, DC++, and such, my downloads reduce to 0.8k/s - 3.5 k/s. Constantly and take forever to connect. It is like running 33k dial up!! Thing is I am connected to the server at Carleton, and most of you are saying that's it right there, but everyone else in my suite can download everything without problems. My PC is a Dell Laptop, the OS is Windows XP, anti virus is the newest McAfee, and the firewall is ZoneAlert. When it comes to anti virus' and firewalls, i draw blanks. So i am lost here. Can any one help me figure out how to setup my firewall so i can download from these programs, or tell me a programs to use to get around it all???? thanks. u can get ahold of me at quik_silver_18@hotmail.com. Thnaks again

Different download protocols, buddy. Kazaa don't work like your web browser.

If you had a good P2P program, you could physically manipulate the up and down rates. With Kazaa, you're pretty much toast. WinMX will let you tweak your settings a lot, and there's forums out there for WinMX with people who know just how to get it all right for your particular situation.

Check your firewall, viruses, and try using the app without your AV program running.

Also, with P2P programs, if more than one person is grabbing from the same source, the bandwidth is halved, (or more).

Kazaa is a terrible piece of software, nothing but spyware in my opinion. Go with another program that allows you to tweak settings of allows you to download from the web ... like "Twister" even though their selection is limited.

ok, i hate kazaa but i was trying to give an idea. u said twister? um what i am using is winmx, and imesh. both aren't doing very well for me.

Except for the main "pool" of P2P connections available with a standard WinMX connection, you have to do searching on your own for a sharing server. Usually you can find interest groups (covering a topic you're interested in) that have a server for WinMX. Then you just connect up, and P2P that way.

WinMX can be a real bytch if you don't know what yer doing, though, as the configs can get REALLY technical. If you don't know what yer doing, you need to find a networking expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom