Been out of the loop

Roark

Lord of Bacon
So I should finally be getting the cash to get an IB rig up and running, but I haven't been keeping an eye on hardware updates so looking for a yay/nay from those of you who have.

i5 3570k (aiming for ~4.5ghz)
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Xigmatek Aegir
G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600/CAS8
WD Caviar Blue
OCZ Vertex 4
MSI TF IV GTX 670
Corsair HX750
+ case/odd/os

In the spring I was leaning toward an MSI GD65 or Asus P8Z77-V, but from some quick and dirty research it looks like the Extreme4 has more or less the same features for much less, unless I missed something?

Not sure what changed between the OCZ 3 series and the 4 but a 128GB Vertex 4 is only $10 more than a 120GB Agility 3 so why not go for it...

Thanks for pointing out the Sam830, poked around and it looks solid.

The cooler I'm pretty set on. I'm no thermodynamics master, but it makes logical sense to me having a double stack of direct-touch heat pipes for IB due to its smaller dissipation area.
That and even before I left the hardware scene there were a lot of complaints about Corsair's hydro series having pump problems (grinding, cavitation, failure, etc...), though I can't remember if they were just specific to the H80.

I have had this H50 for a while and it is cooling my 3960x. It took my 2500k to about 4.8ghz too.
The H50 is as good as the best air coolers basically. I also only have one Sythe Kaze on mine in a pull setup pulling cool air from the front of my case.
To each his own, but Xigs coolers haven't been decent for a while.

If I were you I'd get something better than a WD caviar blue. I had a 320gb one and it was a little slower than I would of liked it to be. If your budget allows it, buy a WD Caviar black or equivalent. Or an ssd if you're OK with the idea of significantly sacrificing space for speed and spending 4x more.

The Caviar Blue would be for storage, the SSD is already in there (Vert4/Sam830).

I'm impressed that it ran slower than you would have liked though, from what I understand the blue is supposed to be the balance between noise/vibration and speed even though its still a 7200RPM drive.

Back
Top Bottom