Should I wait for Haswell

Arbegust

Solid State Member
I want to upgrade my PC in the next six months, mainly to future proof for gaming. I don't have a bad rig now, but would like PCI 3 capacity. Therefore my question is should I wait for Haswell or purchase a Sandy Bridge E or Ivy Bridge? My specs are as follows:

Intel i5 2500k 3.3Ghz
Nvidia GTX 680
12 gig DDR 3 RAM
750w Corsair PSU
1 TB WD HDD

-Oh yes, I mainly play MMOs and am looking forward to the Elder Scrolls. Also, do I need DDR 4 RAM?

Thanks so much for any help!

Your rig will be completely fine for the next 3 years at least. There is absolutely no need for PCI-E 3 and DDR4 wont be around until around 2014.

Haswell will be a new socket meaning new chips and new boards. I only expect it to bring about a 12% increase over IB and IB is only about a 10% increase stock vs stock over SB.
SB-E is pointless. IB is quicker cycle per clock than SB-E so for gaming SB-E is slower.
I don't expect any MMO for a while to even put a dent in your machine.

I'm still rockin' a Pentium D E5300 @ 2.6GHz on my desktop :untroubled: I have an Alienware m14x with an i7 too but don't ever use it for games since my desktop can run almost anything on max.
With that power supply, you'd be better off getting a water cooled heatsink and overclocking that processor.

Yea, Haswell is just future development, it isnt something to "wait for," it's just a CPU class that's evolving. You're good with a Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, or or even a Nehalem, for at least 5 years.

Haswell is supposed to come out Q2 of next year and will be rumored 10% faster than Ivy clock for clock. Not something to upgrade to from a SB chip though.

Back
Top Bottom