New Build Issue On Startup

Friend just put his PC together and when he hits the power button it doesnt go into bios he gets a black screen and its stuck on 99.

has this mobo
Newegg.com - MSI H61M-P31 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
i7 3330
1600mhz ddr3
560ti

Maybe its a long shot but try this first, uninstall the GTX card.
Next, have him "find" a dvi cable and hook it up to the motherboards vga ports.
If his monitor/TV does not support it, have him take it into a reliable computer shop.
Turn on the machine without the card and no optical drives.
If he is lucky it will kick on automatically, he will need to go into this bios,
Have him choose pci graphics card from the hardware configuration panel.
Save those settings and reboot, turn off the machine and put the card back in.
If his card has a pcie connector, make sure the psu he gots can use that.
Turn on the computer once more, if I am right, his motherboard will pick up the card immediately.
The vga bios splash screen should come up first, next the motherboard bios come second, finally he can start the os install process.

Find out what type of ram he has and manufacturer card he has, at times, it maybe the hardware components fault and not the mobo/cpu parts.

Maybe its a long shot but try this first, uninstall the GTX card.
Next, have him "find" a dvi cable and hook it up to the motherboards vga ports.
If his monitor/TV does not support it, have him take it into a reliable computer shop.
Turn on the machine without the card and no optical drives.
If he is lucky it will kick on automatically, he will need to go into this bios,
Have him choose pci graphics card from the hardware configuration panel.
Save those settings and reboot, turn off the machine and put the card back in.
If his card has a pcie connector, make sure the psu he gots can use that.
Turn on the computer once more, if I am right, his motherboard will pick up the card immediately.
The vga bios splash screen should come up first, next the motherboard bios come second, finally he can start the os install process.

Find out what type of ram he has and manufacturer card he has, at times, it maybe the hardware components fault and not the mobo/cpu parts.

He is RMA'ing it just decided to buy a new one after a lot of reasearch and testing around.

He is RMA'ing it just decided to buy a new one after a lot of reasearch and testing around.

I see, alot of people are making returns on that particular model motherboard.
If he buys a new one, I recommend asus or gigabyte for the am3+ boards.
They cost abit more, but worth the money.
Why msi has become so sorry in their own tech support over the past 2 years just makes me really wonder about them.

Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom