Putting a computer inside a xbox 360 case

y2adre

In Runtime
I was thinking of building a computer inside a xbox 360 case. Do you think it's feasible with a mini-itx board? Also, what processor would u recommend. Just for everyday things no gaming. Also, do you think I have to go low-profile on the fan or would a standard fan fit? Thanks for the help, also I know I need to be good with a dremel for this.

Yes it's perfectly capable and easy. If you don't want to game you can get an Atom based mini-itx board that comes with an external PSU. Use an SSD and slot DVD drive and stealth it to the original DVD drive bezel. Just drill a hole through it basically. You can use the stock cooler.

Ok, me and a buddy are thinking of doing one. I have a mini itx board with a pentium g620 on it, dual core, htpc build. I can use a standard dvd rom drive and a ssd or maybe a 2.5in hdd?

Well I was suggesting an atom based mITX setup due to the external PSU. You can take it out and put it inside the 360 case. I'm not sure there is enough room to put a full size or even SFX in there. I recommended slot because it is really thin but you don't really need a DVD drive at all. Can pick up a USB external one real cheap. Yea 2.5" drive will work. You could use it as a gaming rig too by getting a PCI-E ribbon cable and mounting a low profile GPU in there. That's taking it a bit too far.

Reason I know all this is because I'm eventually going to turn one of my dead 360s into an HTPC with an IB HD 4000 based rig for a movie box that can stay up near my projector.

I had 300-400 bucks worth of 360 stuff that was practically new that didn't sell for 200 (4GB Slim with 120GB drive and Kinect). Honestly, if you sell a PC in a 360 shell that can't game more power to you.

Back
Top Bottom