PC Boot Up Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsueo

Baseband Member
Hi Guys...I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a problem i have. I have recently replaced the motherboard in my computer which has given me this headache since the day i put it in...

When i press the power button on my computer it will power up as would be expected, but it wont boot up right away. I have to press the reset button at least four or five times before the machine will begin to boot up properly...heres what i've done to try and find the source of the problem...

1. checked all the wireing
2. tried a brand new power pack
3. tried different memory chips
4. updated the mobo bios
5. set all the settings in bios to "fail-safe"
6. tried another hard drive
7. replaced the battery on the motherboard

All of this has made no difference, the problem still occurs. Once the machine is actually up and running its fine. It very rarely crashes out. If anyone can shed some light on this problem i would be very greatfull :)

Here are my system specs...

Amd Athlon XP 2200+ CPU
Asrock K7VT4A+ Motherboard
512mb Memory Chip
256mb Nividia GeForce fx 5600xt 8x Agp Card
Sony DVD/CD writer combi
Samsung 80gb Hard drive

What happens? Does it post? Where does it stop? Or don't you get any signal, beep or harddrive activity at all?

When it eventually starts to boot up i get a message saying that the bios settings are wrong...then it gives me ten seconds before it restarts itself then it will boot up properly....

As i said in my first post i updated the mobo bios to the latest version...i've cleared the cmos god knows how many times...and as i said before i set all the bios settings to fail safe....the problem still occurs :(

What's your PSU's wattage?

Maybe your power button is broken.

Can you set your BIOS to "factory" or "default" settings instead of "fail safe"?

Take out all unneccesary devices (soundcard/NIC etc)

The power unit thats in the comp now is 300watt but i tried my 400watt one in it and the problem still occured...I've checked my memory chip, graphics card and hard drive on my girlfriends comp and they all work without a problem...

On my comp i've checked and re-checked the case wireing for breaks and found none...i've followed the mobo instructions to the letter so everything is set where it should be for my cpu...

I've tried all the settings on the bios from Optimal Performance settings right down to the Fail Safe Settings.

I've stripped the machine bare so that only the memory, graphics card, and hard drive are present...the problem still occurs

I actually have a sinking feeling that the motherboard may be dying on me :(

I've tried flashing the bios with each new update starting with the oldest and moving up to the very latest one...the problem still occurs.

So it looks like my motherboard is dying after all....thank you very much for your time and effort i really apreciate it :D

Either replace your motherboard, or the BIOS chip. Try to play with your Boot Sequences. I've seen computers (mine for instance) that can only run in one sequence. My motherboard is the largest lump of dog poopy :p. It locks up if I change the sequence to anything but the factory defaults.

I went and bought a MSI K7N2 Delta 2 motherboard and have not long finished installing it into the case. So far there is no sign of any trouble, the machine boots up first time and runs more smoothly as well now. So i guess its safe to say the old motherboard was on its way out.

Thanks again for all your help...it was really apreciated :D

Ok i now have a problem with my new motherboard :( For some reason when i switch the comp on for the first time it freezes after the memory check...after pressing the restart button it will boot fine....anyone got any ideas what might be causing this small problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom