Laptop battery problem with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dave80

I have just recently installed Windows XP professional on my Compaq Presario 1200 laptop. The problem I am having is that my battery is not charging since I installed XP. The light blinks but the battery never reaches a charge and I know the battery is good. Also when I go to the control panel and go under the performance and maintenance then power options there is not an alarm tap and no information about the battery. The portable/laptop option is selected. It is like the computer does not know there is a battery installed. Please Help.

Thanks

David

try this

The operation of the battery is mostly controlled by the power
management settings in Windows XP. As the Service Pack provided manyenhancements for the operating system, this may also include the
settings for the power management. If these settings are altered by theservice pack, this issue may be caused by these changes. There is one
way to reset the settings for resetting the defaults is by reinstall
Power Management. To do this, perform the following steps:
1. Click Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, and then
>> System icon.
>> 2. This opens the System properties window.
>> 3. Select Hardware tab and click Device Manager.
>> 4. Click "+" beside System devices.
>> 5. Select ACPI Power Button.
>> 6. Right-click the device and select Uninstall.
>> 7. Restart the system.
>>
>> Windows will detect and install the power management on restarting.

John (senior tech) computerguy07@hotmail.com

Hello

I tried your suggestion and it did not work. I have looked at my daughters laptop which is a newer one with xp on it and the battery meter information is in the power options menu. I do not have any battery functions in the power options menu. The computer does not know that I even have a battery to charge. This has to be some type of set up problem. My computer is about 5 years old and my not be ACPI compliant. Is there anything else you can think of.

Thanks

David

the battery charges regardless of whether there is a battery icon in your taskbar or not... in fact, it is charged even when your laptop is turned off. just remove the power cords and see if the battery keeps your laptop alive.
your problem sounds like more of a windows problem than anything else. did you install the proper drivers that came with your laptop?

have you tried to find an updated PM from Compaq? It's very possible you just need to install an updated driver and all will be well again....

Let me try to re explain this better, the computer is about five years old (Compaq Presario 1200) it had windows ME installed on it when I bought it new. Due to some problems I tried to restore windows ME using the restore disk that came with the computer and it did not work correctly. So I loaded windows XP professional, after loading XP and opening the power options menu there was no battery information (no battery meter) after downloading the latest bios from the Compaq/HP site the battery information then showed up under the power options menu. When the battery is in the computer the computer does indicate that it is installed (under the power option menu) and when the battery is removed from the computer the computer does indicate that the battery is uninstalled (under the power option menu). The light on the front of the computer does blink like it is charging. The old battery I used to have did work with windows ME. My battery would not hold a charge very long and I had to get a new battery. The battery is only about six months old and I have not ever used it, I use my laptop like a desk top at one location, but now I have a additional desk top and would like to use the laptop on the go with battery power.

So I have loaded XP, have a new (purchased new) battery about 6 months old that has never had a charge and the computer lights blinks like it is charging but have 0% battery life. I have tried unplugging the computer and starting it with just the battery in, in case the battery charge meter was wrong and still no power. I have also tried to remove the ACPI power options from the system menu and let everything reload, still no luck.

Is there any type of XP set up options that I have over looked that could be causing a problem with the battery not charging?

Could I have a battery charge board that is in the computer that has gone bad?

Could I have a bad battery, even though it is only six months old?

Thanks for your time

David

Wow. I know this is an old thread, but I am experiencing the EXACT same problem with my compaq 1200. If you guys figured this out please let me know, Im ordering a charger board anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom