Hard drive making funny noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I could replace the fan on my video card but how do I know its the fan that's making the noise and not just the video card itself? Also, I don't really feel comforable replacing the fan on my video card, how risky/complicated is that?

So I took a picture because my computer shut down unexpectedly but I can't figure out how to upload the picture here so I'll tell you what it says:
(The screen has a blue background and the text is all in white)

A problem has been detcted and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:
(list of things to try but none of then apply to me!)
Technical information:
**** Stop: 0x00000050 (0xF76638A0,0x00000000,0x80506998,0x00000000)

Beginning physical dump of memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

uhh ok... the fan on the video card isn't your biggest problem, but here goes. The fan should be held on with 4 screws. Then just pull the electrical connector off the board. Putting a new one on is a different story, get a blue or crystal orb. Problems... the mounting holes might not line up, you'll have to use some thermal epoxy. This is perminent, but the card is already 2yrs old, you got your money out of that card. The wire connection are different, which means you have to do one of a couple things..
1. You could cut the wires on both fans(they will be the same color) and wire the 2 wires together(using solder, or self sealing butt connectors)
2. If the pins are the same size theres sometimes a way to pull the pins out of the connector, then reinsert in the old connector

As for risk, just the risk of esd damage to the video card, not hard to do.

As for the blue screening, what were you doing leading up to the event? It's unlikly that this fan problem is the cause of that blue screen. My guess is that you have 1 or 2 problems, 1 that HD you have doesn't seem good, errors shouldn't be happening. I'd scan disk it every couple days if theres errors popping up then its toast, buy a new harddrive give that one to the leech that askes for free computer parts all the time. :D

Get a program that will do a stress test on ram, usually when it does the mem dump thing its a ram problem. I could be wrong but it won't cost you anthing to find out.:

why dont you install a new WESTERN DIGITAL hd and put your current HD in an external kit and reload windows(yes you can use your current sidk if it is the full version) on the new HD

The thing is, I am not doing anything unusual when the blue screen pops up. I may be listening to music and using IE, but nothing that I haven't done many times before.

How often does it blue screen, is it less often since you cleaned the case? Give us the tour so to speak on your computer, include p/s brand and wattage, ram speed, size, brand if you know, HD brand, speed, and size. The blue screen problem could be any number of things, including software related. Did this start suddenly, slowly, after changing hardware or adding software, updating bios/drivers? Is there anything you can do to causes a crash?

Just to let you know, my old Geforce 2 Ti 64mb video cards fan would always buzz, no matter how clean it was, and I'd give my case a little knock and it'd go away, but for the most part that particular buzzing really isn't anything to worry about, but you should still replace the fan anyway...but yeah that definitely isn't your biggest problem.

Try a program like Memtest96+ and put it on a bootable floppy or CD and make sure your memory isn't erroring

0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
This error indicates that invalid system memory has been accessed.

Parameters

On the blue screen, the following parameters are displayed:
Memory address referenced.
0: Read operation
1: Write operation
Address that referenced the memory (if known)
Reserved
If the driver responsible for the error can be identified, its name is shown on the blue screen and stored in memory at the location (PUNICODE_STRING) KiBugCheckDriver.

Cause

This error is usually caused by the installation of faulty hardware or by failure of installed hardware - usually defective RAM, Level 2 Cache or Video RAM. Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service or the corruption of an existing system service. Antivirus software can occasionally trigger this error, as can a corrupt NTFS volume.

Resolving the problem

Resolving a faulty hardware problem: If hardware has been added to the system recently, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component. You should run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer.

Resolving a faulty system service problem: Disable the service and confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer of the system service about a possible update. If the error occurs during system startup, restart your computer, and press F8 at the character-mode menu that displays the operating system choices. At the resulting Windows Advanced Options menu, choose the Last Known Good Configuration option. This option is most effective when only one driver or service is added at a time.

Resolving an antivirus software problem: Disable the program and confirm that this resolves the error. If it does, contact the manufacturer of the program about a possible update.

Resolving a corrupted NTFS volume problem: Run Chkdsk /f /r to detect and repair disk errors. You must restart the system before the disk scan begins on a system partition. If the hard disk is SCSI, check for problems between the SCSI controller and the disk.

Finally, check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve it.

Yeah, I would say that it does blue-screen less often now that I cleaned out the case and the fan on the video card.
My specs:
2.8 Ghz pentium 4 w/ HT
ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 pro w/ dvi
Soundblaster Audigy2 5.1 sound card
1 Gig of dual channel DDR ram (2X256 that came with the computer and 1X512 that I got from a friends computer, but both are dual channel DDR @ the same Mhz)
Hard drive = 80 Gig Western Digital at 7200 rpm
I am not sure about the power supply, i will have to disconnect everything and check.
The blue-screening start very suddenly and would sometimes happen 3-4 times a day and somedays it doesn't happen at all.
The last "major" thing I did was flash the bios to a newer version but that was at least a month, if not 2-3 months, before the blue screen start appearing.
There isn't one specific thing that will make it crash, it will just crash at random times, but usually when 1 program is opening while another is closing or some other moderate-stress process like that. But sometimes when it is more stressed (word docs open, itunes playing, multiple IE windows opening and closing as I please, maybe even a frecell game open and AIM chatting going on) it doesn't have problems.
Someone else posted about a ram-checking program but they won't work on my machine or I am not creating the disc right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom