Any cool suggestions for making my new system even cooler?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi again!

Ok, I am nearing the finish of my new build. I am asking for any suggestions for improvement, especially in the area of air cooling. I added a number of fans, and I think I am ok, but still am open to suggestions for greater improvement.

Here's the components:

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
CM HAF X Blue
Antec H20 620
Intel 180GB SATA III 520
WD Black Caviar 2 TB

As you can see, I added a number of extra fans [10 to be exact]. Total number of fans right now: 13. I can still add another 200 mm up top. Would that be overkill? I would like it to be able to hover exactly like R2D2 [Artoo-Detoo].

Ok, any suggestions? I would like to keep this rig cool, cool, cool [as in temps].

Soar

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I guess you could buy a rad and run a water loop and get a gpu water block? Other then that... Lower the ac temp in the room I guess.

What is your GPU? And is your processor K model or no.

If your not overclocking anything a water cooled cpu and the fans on the ram are kind of pointless.

I never really understood the fan on the bottom of cases also, considering the PSU is just blowing hot air down and their isn't a lot of airflow between the ground and the fans, I'd assume its just sucking up a lot of that warm air.

Last edited:
I agree, there's not much else you can do, except overclock that CPU more. ;)

Yes, it is an Intel i5-3570 K, but I do not know much about over clocking. I think there is some of those "one click overclock" buttons in the UEFI. I may try that.

I guess you could buy a rad and run a water loop and get a gpu water block? Other then that... Lower the ac temp in the room I guess.

What is your GPU? And is your processor K model or no.

If your not overclocking anything a water cooled cpu and the fans on the ram are kind of pointless.

I never really understood the fan on the bottom of cases also, considering the PSU is just blowing hot air down and their isn't a lot of airflow between the ground and the fans, I'd assume its just sucking up a lot of that warm air.

Oh, my understanding is the PSU sucks in cool air from the bottom of the case, then exhausts the hot air out the back of the case [please correct me if I am wrong]. So I was hoping both the PSU and the new Gentle Typhoon fans were sucking in the cool air from the bottom.

It is a "K" model CPU. GPU for testing purposes is a simple Galaxy GTX 460. I plan on installing my new non-branded 560Ti in the next couple of days.

I would like to be able to install a rad and run a water loop, but the maintenance is way to much for me. After finishing this build, I do not want to open it up for 12-18 months except for an occasional dusting. That is why I put in a simple closed loop in it.

If it's a K anyways, If so, overclock the heck out of it :)

Thanks for the good advice everyone!

Ok, anyone here have any good/stable overclocking settings for for this specific set up?

To be 100% honest with you, I know absolutely nothing about overclocking and when I have tried to read a little at some of the overclocking forums, it was terribly confusing for me.

I do not want to mess this system up. It needs to last me 12-24 months.

Soar

Last edited:
If you don't know anything about it then just do the push button thing that your motherboard has. If you want to learn basic overclocking is very simple and safe, if you do your research.

The psu exhausts warm air btw.

If you don't know anything about it then just do the push button thing that your motherboard has. If you want to learn basic overclocking is very simple and safe, if you do your research.

The psu exhausts warm air btw.

For me, basic overclocking is not simple nor safe. It was very confusing for me. I seemed to have gotten lost every time as the variables kept increasing. There were just too many variables for me to understand and implement.

Hopefully I can find a forum where people have the same exact chip and MB and can give me the exact settings that will be optimal for this rig.

Regarding the PSU exhausting out the bottom...then I've made many mistakes by installing the bottom fan sucking air in....

Thanks for the heads up!

Soar

For me, basic overclocking is not simple nor safe. It was very confusing for me. I seemed to have gotten lost every time as the variables kept increasing. There were just too many variables for me to understand and implement.

Hopefully I can find a forum where people have the same exact chip and MB and can give me the exact settings that will be optimal for this rig.

Regarding the PSU exhausting out the bottom...then I've made many mistakes by installing the bottom fan sucking air in....

Thanks for the heads up!

Soar

There is no optimum setup for any set processor they are all different. Someones might safely overclock to 5.0 Ghz with the same exact setup as yours and yours might only go to 4.6 Ghz. I mean basic overclocking is increasing your multiplier one at a time until it doesn't post then go back one, run a stress test, if all is well, your done.

I think this will be a great guide for you.

Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition*

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom