Which HP Laptop is the best to buy?

ConfusedUser

Beta member
Hi guys,

My hp laptop died after its 5 year lifespan and I am hunting for a new one. Can you help me choose which laptop is the best buy. Ideally i want something that can handle my multitasking tendency like picture/video editing, programming, surfing the net and sometimes watching various movies. In line with this, memory, cpu and video graphics should be considered. In addition, the laptop should also handle running 3 or 4 days without shutting down because of the nature of my work. I have 2 laptops in mind but i don't know which is better. Both are 3rd generation icore 7. For complete specifications of the laptops see below links.

1. dv4-5012tx
Link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum...itle_r0001

2. dm4-3107tx
Link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum...itle_r0001

Can you guys tell me the reason why #1 is better than #2 or vice versa? Is AMD Radeon HD better than NVIDIA GeForce GT?

In terms of CPU, I read that although the 3612QM has a higher model number than the 3610QM, it offers slower clock rates and therefore performs worse. if this is true then 3610QM is much better but in terms of graphics, I am still at lost on how to compare the two but both are from class 2 video cards.

I would personally choose the second one. Video graphics on either one are pretty similar and if you don't game then that really doesn't matter much.

The second one has a larger HDD and 8GB of RAM. The 2 CPUs are identical besides the other one being 200mhz slower but the turbo on both are over 3ghz.
The second laptops CPU even though is 200mhz slower has a 10w less TDP meaning it takes less power and therefor even though only slightly slower will grant more battery life.

I think you'll find that when you're sitting in front of it you wouldn't notice the difference between the two.

Despite all that being said, if you want to upgrade the memory and HDD yourself (for pretty cheap) then I would take the first laptop with the Nvidia graphics over the AMD setup simply because I hate their drivers.

I would personally choose the second one. Video graphics on either one are pretty similar and if you don't game then that really doesn't matter much.

The second one has a larger HDD and 8GB of RAM. The 2 CPUs are identical besides the other one being 200mhz slower but the turbo on both are over 3ghz.
The second laptops CPU even though is 200mhz slower has a 10w less TDP meaning it takes less power and therefor even though only slightly slower will grant more battery life.

I think you'll find that when you're sitting in front of it you wouldn't notice the difference between the two.

Despite all that being said, if you want to upgrade the memory and HDD yourself (for pretty cheap) then I would take the first laptop with the Nvidia graphics over the AMD setup simply because I hate their drivers.

Thanks Mguire, I am thinking of getting the dv4 but i have to upgrade the memory to 8GB. Does it mean that in terms of graphics, Nvidia chip is much better than the AMD chip?

I would go for dm4-3107tx that has more RAM.
Technically they are almost identical.

I wouldn't get an HP laptop they overheat very easily and are very loud. HP warranties suck too I dropped it once and it stopped working <.< , I would look at asus for laptops

Back
Top Bottom