8150 Max Temps

Hayden13

Baseband Member
Hey guys, got yet another question. I recently just purchased a new computer, all specs are available on my profile, and I love it. However there is one thing that has very recently come to my attention. My 8150's temps are getting way too high. It usually idles around 25C-31C, but when I start playing a game (BF3 for instance) temps shoot up to around 65C-70C. I didn't think that this was a big deal considering CoreTemp told me that my Max was 90C, but then I looked up the max on AMD and it says that it shouldn't go over 61C, which is kind of scary because even when running minecraft (yes I know it runs mostly off of the processor) CoreTemp tells me that my processor is at 67C. I also have AI Suite 2 and it also tells me the same temps. I even have water cooling, pretty low end water cooling, but still water cooling. So my question is.. why are my temps so high? What can I do to fix it?
Just in case you don't want to look at my profile my specs are:

Processor: AMD FX-8150 3.60 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
Cooling: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan
I also have one 120MM fan in the top of my case, and a powerful deskfan sitting on top (both as intake)

Links:
AMD 8150 Max Temps Discussion
Can't find any links with AMD 8150 Specs that include max operating temp... :crazy:

P.S. 2 more things... 1. I won't be able to post any screenshots for about 30mins or about 10:30 AM EST
2. When I am not running even a single application my number of processes is usually in the 80's (only using 0%- 7% of CPU though)
Thanks in advance!
*EDIT* Temps while playing minecraft are 37C-45C

Last edited:
I can't see the individual temps, just the individual frequencies. Why does AMD say that its max temp is 61C if it's perfectly okay to go over?

I have never seen AMD say anywhere that their max temp is 61c, unless you were reading reviews saying max temp was 61c under load at stock frequencies. The TJ Maxx on most AMD CPU's is actually around 90c and anything under that is technically nominal. Anything under 70c is great depending on ambient temp and air flow in your case. That being said, if any of my CPUs start peaking at 75c I start getting sweat on my brow unless I'm doing suicide runs.

Think of it this way, you have 4 dual modules running at 3.6ghz and people that overclock these things over 4.5ghz. A chip with a stock TDP of 125w. If 61c was the max, the overclocking headroom would be much less. I do think that your temps are a bit high but if they only get that way during stress tests and NOT gaming then I wouldn't worry about it at all.

If you want to try and troubleshoot what I would do is take the heatsink off, clean the base of it and the IHS on the CPU off with 91% rubbing alcohol and q-tips, then reapply a grain of rice sized amount of TIM on the center of the IHS and then remount your heatsink. Yes, I literally mean, the amount of TIM you should put on your CPU is the size of a single grain of rice. Anything more is too much and defeats the purpose.

Thank you, and I found the Webpage, but I think that I'll let my computer be as it is. I had it pre-built by CyberPower and I think that until my warranty has expired, I'm not going to lay a finger on things that I could break. Again, thank you for your help!

Yea that isn't AMD's specification, but rather CPU-World's recommendation. Since it's a prebuilt I would be willing to bet they used the stock cooler which has pre-applied TIM on it and that is always way too much.

Back
Top Bottom