Will i5 work in my Laptop?

Well, is there any chance you could help me find one that's better than 1Ghz that will work? 1Ghz is like smart phone CPU isn't it?

1Ghz is like smart phone CPU isn't it?

In terms of clock speed that's correct, but there's loads of other factors that determine how fast a CPU is - a 1GHz i7 would be much faster than a 1GHz ARM v7 (that's a smartphone CPU).

Um, what are you guys telling this poor chap? Upgrading the CPU in a laptop is easier than upgrading in a PC. You take it out, pop the new one in, apply new TIM, enjoy new CPU.

Unfortunately you have an AMD laptop and you can't put a new CPU in it. IIRC APUs in laptops are geared specifically for the board it sits in and you can't buy them retail. I'm afraid you're screwed with what you got until you buy a new system.

Um, what are you guys telling this poor chap? Upgrading the CPU in a laptop is easier than upgrading in a PC. You take it out, pop the new one in, apply new TIM, enjoy new CPU.

I disagree. Takes longer to disassemble a laptop than to open up the side of a PC case / take the heatsink off and put a new CPU in. Laptops you usually have to disassemble the entire laptop, take the board out of the laptop chassis, then you can take the heatsink out. Much more time consuming / difficult than a desktop PC.

I have never worked on an Intel laptop that required you to disassemble the whole laptop to reach the CPU and RAM. They usually have a 4 or 5 screw plastic cover which you can then remove the 2 or 4 screws holding the heat plate on the CPU and move it and the pipe to the side. I have only worked on AMD laptops that required the whole thing to be taken apart. As I just told Yami, this is why I never recommend AMD laptops because the upgrade path is limited to pretty much just the HDD and RAM.
Hell, even my POS Compaq P4 heat monster in my closet has a cover you can take off to reach the CPU.

Okay well thanks for the help. I was asking about an upgrade after checking task manager. It always shows CPU usage as like really high and I will be using Photoshop quite a lot when I get around to downloading it.

Okay well thanks for the help. I was asking about an upgrade after checking task manager. It always shows CPU usage as like really high and I will be using Photoshop quite a lot when I get around to downloading it.

Check the processes tab in Task Manager, see what's making the CPU run like that. Even a low end APU shouldn't be at 100% with normal tasks.

Back
Top Bottom