Ocing my GForce 6800gt 256mb Question . STandard 2d or Performance 3d?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProBaller25

Baseband Member
I had a question about overclocking my Geforce 6800gt 256mb card. Inside the CLock frequency tab there is a pull down that you can either select STANDERD 2d or PERFORMANCE 3d what is the diffrence between the 2?

2d is slower for like more 2d applications like xp so it wont heat up as fast. 3d is for like games and you can have windows automaticaly adjust the cards speed to the max for you.

Ok so right now its set to 2d so i should set it to 3d performance then have windows max it out to its safest area and i will not have a problem? Cause right now its at 370mhz and the "No Overclocking" Button is pressed in so it defaulty selected 2d cause thats what its showing up as right now. But then i hit ALLOW OVERCLOCKING and then make windows max it out and it goes all the way up to friggen 470mhz how can that be good for it?What do you think is the best thing to do here?also what should the memory read. cause that also goes up alot.

So nvidia Fanboy why is ur core 430mhz is that what it went to when you selected automatically overclock it? when i do that it goes to 470mhz which im not sure if its stable. Please let me know.

The only reason you might want to raise your 'Standard 2D' clocks is so that when you go to game and it changes to the 'Performance 3D' clock rate, it's not as big of jump, and as a somewhat rule of thumb, the smaller leap you make from one speed to the other, insures greater stability. Much like OC'ing a processor you don't want to just jump from 2GHz to 2.5GHz in one stroke, know what I mean?

But then i hit ALLOW OVERCLOCKING and then make windows max it out and it goes all the way up to friggen 470mhz how can that be good for it?
Well you want to hit ALLOW OVERCLOCKING, but just slide the slider back down to the appropriate levels.

What are the stock core/memory for the 6800GT again?

suppose it's 350/900 just for the sake of explination.

When they show those as the advertised speeds, then they mean that's how fast it performas when you initialize a game, otherwise when you're in XP it's clocked down lower.

You don't HAVE to, but is recommended that you increase your standard 2D as well as 3D so like I said it doesn't jump as far when you go to game, but don't OC your standard 2D very much as it's just running windows and stuff like that, and no need to heat up your card just while you're in windows XP...

So Conclusion:

Standard 2D = When you're in Windows

Performance 3D = When you start a game, it kicks into "Performance 3D mode and the core/memory speed jumps up to the advertised core/memory speed you saw when you bought the card"

So in short... OC your Performance 3D as this is what has all the effects on games, 3D bench marks and that sort of thing. After you've found your stable OC on that, go back and just barely up your 'Standard 2D' a little bit just so like I said, it doesn't make that big of a leap and gives it a little less 'shock' when you start up a game.

ok ill try it. i tryed overclocking earlir but i didnt notice a diffirence inside the game at all.

well it depends on how far you OC it, and if it's a game like Doom3 then you gotta realize it's a very GPU Intensive game and you will need a good and high OC atleast get it up to ultra speeds before you notice an FPS Increase or something like that.

Really the best way to tell how well your OC is doing is simply run 3dmark03, I suggest 03 and not 05 quite yet just because 05 is still really new and hardly anyone can run that without top of the line cards and system so really '03 would be the best for checking your OC results.

Well i have a GT and since i have a CPU and ram that PWNS i really dont have to go higher than ultra speeds you know what i mean? I mean look at my benchmark scores, dont they say anything?

Well i have a GT and since i have a CPU and ram that PWNS i really dont have to go higher than ultra speeds you know what i mean? I mean look at my benchmark scores, dont they say anything?
Ok that doesn't really answer his question but rather simply brag about your system....he said 'why is it at 430' and I don't see how that answers it..

Anywho, if 70k is your score w/out an OC on that card, then what is your score WITH the OC that you have on the card, because you have it at 430/1300 in your sig and that's OC'd, so now I'm confused, is it OC'd or not? If so, what are OC scores?

oh my bad. that IS w/ OC and its OC'd now. ive just been lazy to change it. my bad, but it is w/ OC on both the CPU and vid card. That is w/out my EE though. i havent been updating lately obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom