Applications/Games vs CPU Cores

A list of multi-threaded games probably doesnt exist.... It be CRAZY to go and test all of them out, so i think no one really has.

I googled for a list, and there were many posts with small lists.

Yeah thats what I've been hearing and for an extra 140 or so will save me from possible failures and be more up gradable anyway.

Can anyone go back to the question about gaming / running multiple appps now etc. in one of my previous posts. I appreciate all the help.

Also curios what is a good program to show my CPU performance in game, kinda like msi afterburner but for CPU, want to see which games if not (all) are being bottlenecked by my cpu, im pre sure gw2 and bf3 are for sure, not sure about csgo but im betting that also.
I already extensively answered your question. BF3 should actually run fine on it as it ran fine on my 6000+. It will just probably be maxed out. If you only have a GTX260 I can guarantee that is the piece of hardware holding you back right now.

I already extensively answered your question. BF3 should actually run fine on it as it ran fine on my 6000+. It will just probably be maxed out. If you only have a GTX260 I can guarantee that is the piece of hardware holding you back right now.

No the question is about where the stuff gets spread out too between in game / applications if games only use 2 and what not but I did some research and found my own answer, it wasnt about bf3 at all.

If you are playing a game the core priority in Windows gets shifted to that game and background tasks are put on hold basically. If you have an extensive pagefile then everything in RAM gets put in swap and if it requires CPU and RAM it is set to low priority besides system services.

Like I was saying before, there isn't much that truly uses more than 2-4 cores besides certain CPU extensive tasks that I listed off in my original post. Even so, those particular programs take more advantage of the faster clocks per cycle anyways as each core can get more done on an Intel chip in 1 second than any AMD CPU.
If that isn't what you were talking about then your original question in the first post was misleading as I answered it. No game right now uses 4 cores to their full potential.

If you are playing a game the core priority in Windows gets shifted to that game and background tasks are put on hold basically. If you have an extensive pagefile then everything in RAM gets put in swap and if it requires CPU and RAM it is set to low priority besides system services.

Like I was saying before, there isn't much that truly uses more than 2-4 cores besides certain CPU extensive tasks that I listed off in my original post. Even so, those particular programs take more advantage of the faster clocks per cycle anyways as each core can get more done on an Intel chip in 1 second than any AMD CPU.
If that isn't what you were talking about then your original question in the first post was misleading as I answered it. No game right now uses 4 cores to their full potential.

Thanks, the first portion of what you were talking about was the the one I was still searching for at the time. Thanks for the help.

Ok that makes a bit more sense. Yea Windows 7 manages background tasks much better than any other Windows OS, but that doesn't mean bog your machine down with processes. They still take up resources, just not as much as before.

A list of multi-threaded games probably doesnt exist.... It be CRAZY to go and test all of them out, so i think no one really has.

I googled for a list, and there were many posts with small lists.

the only ones i know for sure are the Total War games, Empire and on

Battlefield 3 guild wars 2 most of the newer ones have been tested and take advantage of more then 2, the frames dont go up INSANELY but it helps. Seen some tests where they used a 3960x and enabled only 2 then 4 etc.

I tested BF3 and Skyrim on my 2500k and the most of the CPU was used is 52%. That's only about half the CPU that is spread across 4 cores. 50% is 100% on only 2 cores and that was with the CPU at stock. The 52% was on BF3. Skyrim was less than 40%. On my 3960x I bet it would be less than 20% usage with these games fully maxed out.

Back
Top Bottom