WinXP DHCP not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your gateway address should be 192.168.1.1

If you can see other machines on your LAN, then your selection of 192.168.1.2 is working!!!

The only other thing that must be set up right is the DNS server addresses.

In Houston (on Road Runner) we use:

But yours will be different. Still you could use these and they might respond.

Once you have the gateway and your IP set, you should be able to ping the numbers above. You should also be able to enter known IP addresses in IE.

For example, 64.58.76.178 is www.yahoo.com

Yeahhh...okay, seeing as you're not sure how many liscenses are available on your router/modem...lets try it out this way.

How many computers actually have an internet connection at any given time?

And what is the brand name and model of the router/modem? I'll gladly go to their site and find the product to see how many liscenses are available. That really does sound like your problem here.

To test this out, if you don't want to provide that information, shut down every other computer except for the one you're having problems with. Configure this XP box so that it is ready for DHCP (set everything to auto-detect). Shut down the machine. Unplug each router for 30 seconds to reset the memory. Then boot this problematic computer and see what happens. If it's a liscensing problem then that will solve it. If not...well, back to the drawing board.

ICS is *WAY RELATIVE*

Ok... this problem happened to me three times and I managed to isolate it (and in fact it happens right now on this machine as I bumped on this page looking for more info).

Scenario:

Use the wizard to setup ICS on a machine with 2+ NICs (Ethernet or Firewire or whatever). Allow the wizard to configure anything on it's own and it will create a Network Bridge on your NICs. Remove the Network Bridge (I tried all possible ways, deleting the bridge, unistalling the mac miniport driver, removing the network adapters and all combinations between) and vuala! DHCP will cease to function for the adapters that were bridged. No matter if the server is a router or the machine running XP. The adapters get assigned a APIPA address. Disabling APIPA support leaves the adapters with 0.0.0.0 Using ipconfig to release and renew you get an error that the DHCP server times out. I tried searching the entire ms knowledge base and web for this with no luck. I tried hacking the registry keys involving dhcp and network interfaces again with no luck. Tried tampering with netsh interface ip autodhcp but again no luck (though this last thing I was doing blindingly, doing an RTFM as I went along). In all 3 previous cases the problem was solved only by doing an upgrade install on win xp after I had removed the previously bridged adapters AND made sure the enumeration of the NICs on the pci bus had changed. Otherwise it needs a clean installation. I'd apreciate it if someone has any more info on this as I'm fed up with reinstalling xp on all my friends' machines after they deleted a wizard made bridge. The only info I could find are references that bridging is buggy and does not uninstall itself properly though noone has a clue on how to undue whatever it does to dhcp...

I had that problem before with WinXP. I got all 0s even though the Ethernet card worked according to Device Manager. I had to reboot several times and it got it back. I even entered an IP and still no go before the reboots. I think WinXP "forgot" it's IP configuration. I have no router with cable access. (No router since I have other things to do.)

Weeeeeeeee

I got it. Been messing with the registry keys and the netsh resources I found on the net for about 5 hours:p But I got it. Just open a command prompt window and type "netsh int ip reset log.txt" where log.txt enter the path and name of the logfile you want it to create. It won't work without a logfile parameter. What this command does actualy is reseting TCP/IP on the windows installation. It will reset everything so your static setups will all go. Of course you need administrator rights to perform it. Though imho microsoft should include better documentation on "netsh" or even an option to reset the protocol in mmc would be welcome...anyway I'm just glad I found it;)

bitsmart,
i know this reply from me is coming in very late but i think i had a similar if not the exact problem you had. i use a linksys router and for some reason one of my computers seemed to stop reponding on my network. my fix was simple. on your router unplug all of the cables to all of your computers, reset the router, (on linksys there is a little hole in the front to reset it), reboot all of your comps, and slowly one by one plug each cable back in so dhcp can reassign each machine. hope this helps

Did anybody ever find a solution to this besides using a static IP?
I have a machine running Linux that shares the internet and it's running DHCPD. I have a computer running Win2k and a computer running XP. The Win2k machine finds the DHCP server fine, the winxp machine however will not. But the thing is I had a LAN party about a month ago where there were about 10 of us and I know there were 5 or 6 people running XP who got their IP address from DHCP, there were two other computers (besides my xp machine) that had DHCP issues. I like DHCP because the network illiterate people that come to my lan parties don't have to do anything but plug in. Too bad one of the guys who's comp didn't find the dhcp server was network illiterate and I spent 30 minutes of good gaming time just getting him on the network. Thanks for any help.

Bitsmart

1st you need to check the router and make sure that it's not limited by the ip address range set if any (set for security).

2nd you need to check the services and protocols set up for the NIC card (LAN Connection) The 3 your looking for are

Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Print sharing for Microsoft Networks (sharing printers and files between computers)
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

If you are setting a static address the
IP Address must be one within the Routers IP range (above)
Subnet mask must be the same as set by the router. 255.?.?.?
Default Gateway must be the the routers address.

If your are using WEP or WPA encryption on the LAN check the password and re-enter it again to rule it out.

Don't use Linksys but on D-link it has a Status Log (Attempts to receive an IP address)
Check it ( There is a routine the request,acknowledge,offer,accept to giving out an IP)
The wording may vary in the log it will let you know if it see's your Desktop.

Update me on this info and we will go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom