Fdisk only creating 10Gig Partition with 80Gig HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeppy

Baseband Member
I got my computer up and running, and i run fdisk on this HD to get all the old crap off of it from before. I load Fdisk, create a partition, and it works fine...Except that when it uses only 10Gig, even though I say use all space on HD. When the computer boots the stats read it as 80 gig, so I dont know what to do. Any ideas?

If you are installing win2000 or winXP boot with the CD and setup your partitions through that way instead. Did you tell fdisk to use all available free space and is this the only partition on that hard disk or did you make more than 1? look at the fdisk information (option 4 I think) does it show that all space is allocated to that single partition?

FDISK is MSDOS based, MSDOS does not recognize any partitions over 10gig (it is size limited). You will need to remove any partitions run FORMAT C: and boot your PC using the OS disk. Sooo, What OS are you using?

you can use the boot disk to partition even if you aren't currently installing windows

Tula M91-30 said:
MSDOS does not recognize any partitions over 10gig (it is size limited).

he might have a point there. skeppy goto bootdisk.com and download the windows Millenium startup diskette files. boot your computer with that startup diskette and use the fdisk utility on it to partition your hard disk. it might be the msdos version you're using doesn't support over 10GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom