New gfx card

Androgles

Solid State Member
Hello peeps.

Today, i just got my super OC Black edition 7770 gfx card.
Problem is tho, that whenever i install the driver for it and boot my system it shuts down immediately after pretty much loading windows, or at the login screen.

I dont really know what could be causing this, since the recommended PSU req. is 550W, and that's what i have in my pc.

My specs are:

PSU: Corsair VX550W
Motherboard: H55M-D2H
CPU: i5-760 2.80GHZ
Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
4gb ram

I have tried disconnecting all non essential equipments, leaving only the mouse, keyboard, and monitor, and the internet left, but it still did it.

Anything else you wanna know, just ask me, other than that, I'd really love it if anyone could come up with some suggestions of what i could do to check out the problems, and narrow down the issue of this.

As far as I can tell it may be the PSU, but it does say 550W recommended. :)

Attachments

• DxDiag.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 0
hmm ok some ideas for you.
Installing the driver from where? the disc that came with the card i presume?
550W on the side of the case doesnt nessacarily mean 550w "true" output, if your running close to your max power then that could be your problem right there.

During the time it is on, have you had the case open so you can see the video card? if not, do so, have a look to make sure any onboard fans are working.

To be honest, if it was power related i wouldnt expect you to even have a loading screen, From what you have described my first thoughts would be towards heat.

Hang on.

Youre system is running fine, until you attempt to install the driver??

You'll need to explain a little bit here. are you running windows in a lower resoloution? What driver (and from where) are you trying to install?

Just trying to help :)

Last edited:
It's definately not the heat :) I can tell you that much, from when i boot and it reboots, the card doesnt even hit 10 degrees, it's cold, and yes, the fans do run, and i tried 3 different drivers, the same respectively, but from different places, xfx site, amd site, and the disc, all with the same issue of it shutting down after windows loads.
And yes, with my old 4770 card, im running just fine, then when i put in the new card, install the driver, reboot, and load windows, it shuts down like some sorta power shortage, and then it reboots, a lil while after :)

Ah that explains a bit more for me :)

When I upped mine it was a case of uninstalling the drivers for the old card, placing my new cards dvd in the drive ready, shutting down the system.
Removing the old card, inserting the new one and then repowering and booting up letting windows find the driver on the D:/ or directing if asked.

Any chance that your old driver wasn't removed?

Well, USUALLY when i changed cards sometimes, drivers aint conflicted, and i did completely clean the driver from my old card, and installed the new one, after i rebooted with the new card in, it had however still the driver, so i uninstalled and installed that again, and nothing changed, still the same.

And no, not really, when i built it myself, i knew 550W was gonna be suffiencient at the time being for minor upgrades and such. :)

Sorry dude I'm stuck for now on this one, It's deffo not heat related, power seems to be adequate. that only leaves the driver or worse in my book.
If it were my shoes I'd run some registry cleaner and work on killing off any remenants of previous drivers or versions thereof.

If I think of anything, (which I sometimes do) I'll stick it here for you

Best of luck

I did, test the card in my brothers pc, and it worked absolutely fine, he does have a higher end pc, with a 750W PSU :)

But it only shuts downj on mine after windows loads, like when the driver loads, it makes the card crash or something, or the card draws too much power and shuts down because it doesn't get sufficient? :)

Back
Top Bottom