Advice motherboard + CPU upgrade (old Acer)

Are you talking about those Geforce chipsets like the 630a or the 6025 or whatever the stupid number was? Only thing those needed drivers for were the IGP. I never had to install drivers for my nForce chipsets all the way up to 780i.

Nah, I'm talking older than that. Pretty much for the first nForce to nForce 500 series. Starting with the 600 series, they started making boards specifically for AMD and Intel processors separately, I suspect due to the prior issues they were having.

I think the 500 series wasn't as bad, but there were still intermittent issues.

Yea I have had nF2, nF2 Ultra 400, nF3 250GB, nF3 Ultra (S939 AGP), nF4 Ultra-D, nF4 SLI-DR, nF590 SLI, nF 750a, nF 780i. In that range I have had from TNT PCI cards all the way up to GTX 280s for Nvidia and Radeon 7200 all the way up to 4870 on these chipsets. That's why I was saying I personally thought it was a myth because I never had any problems at all between XP, Vista, and 7.

Yea I have had nF2, nF2 Ultra 400, nF3 250GB, nF3 Ultra (S939 AGP), nF4 Ultra-D, nF4 SLI-DR, nF590 SLI, nF 750a, nF 780i. In that range I have had from TNT PCI cards all the way up to GTX 280s for Nvidia and Radeon 7200 all the way up to 4870 on these chipsets. That's why I was saying I personally thought it was a myth because I never had any problems at all between XP, Vista, and 7.

Gotcha. At this point it's really neither here nor there since we're way off tangent to this guy's thread haha. My bad.

why not ave a little money and get a 650 or spend a little bit more and get a 660 they are both great cards that would help your system alot.

Back
Top Bottom