order of importance

Hrodebert

Solid State Member
With the mind numbing amount of options in today's store bought computer selection, and my increasing desire for better "bang for my buck" I am leaning toward building my own computer. While I am by no means a tech savey type, I am not completely ignorant of computer basics.
I use a computer for web surfing, youtube, music downloading- storing- listening, photography basics, and possibly future home entertainment use.
With that being said, what is the basic order of importance for the parts of a self built computer these days, and why.
My budget will be in the 600-700 dollar range but is not set in stone.
Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and Have a great day:cool:

GPU isn't that important for any machine that doesn't game. You can get something like a GT520 and still be fine or even Intel's HD4000. In this case, having a good SSD would mean more for performance than anything. Same goes for a mobo. Somebody who doesn't game most likely wont OC either so they can get like an H series board for cheap and still have most all of the basic features needed (SATA3, USB3, HDMI/DVI out) and be fine.

CPU
RAM (amount)
PSU
GPU
HDD space and speed, equally important imo
RAM (speed)
Motherboard
Case

Thanks for the input guys. I am trying to learn as I go here and I had no idea the importance of the PSU until I looked further into it.
I already have a 1TB portable hard drive for backup, but I am leaning toward an HDD at least as big so that I can have all my music and pictures in 2 places. Is this the right way to go? I can see that this will be about personal preference in the end but I am very interested in the why of the opinions that I do receive.
Thanks for the input so far and have a great day:cool:

Yeah, never buy a cheap PSU. You'll regret it when it eventually blows ;) Corsair or Antec... The two I'd choose.

ah, didnt see that it wasnt for gaming.

also, the external drive that you have is slow, and shouldnt be used for anything but backing up data... as an external drive.

A 1TB hard-drive isn't expensive at all really, so there isn't much reason to not get one, since they are around $70 to $90, depending on the brand, and if there is a sale on Newegg ;)

Back
Top Bottom