LCD or CRt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i have a wee christmas prob. My dad loves LCD's and has wanted one ever since they where out on the market. He has a 17" CRT right now that is goin out and i saw a 15" LCD on sale that i wanted to buy him. Well i also saw a 19" CRT flat screen that was also on sale. I was wondering which one to get. I know the LCD would be a downgrade but he really wants one and it would fit his desk better than the CRT but he also does alot of gaming and needs a big screen. What would yall do? Oh yea and his desk is pretty small too.:angry:

If your dad is a gamer, I would strongly recommend CRT.

LCD Pro/Con
Pros:

* Takes up Little Space on Desktop
* Light Weight
* Energy Efficient
* Causing Less Eye Fatigue

Cons:

* Expensive
* Blurry Images Outside Native Resolution
* Motion Blur on Fast Moving Images
* Washed Out Colors

CRT Pro/Con
Pros:

* Inexpensive
* Multisync Capable
* High Refresh Rates
* Color Clarity and Depth

Cons:

* Large Footprint on Desktop
* Very Heavy
* Use Large Amounts of Energy
* Generate Excess Heat

CRTs have multisync capability. This allows the electron gun inside the tube to adjust itself to various resolutions and refresh rates. This is very desirable if you have any need to display multiple resolutions. Games are a common area where multiple resolutions are useful. New games that may tax your computer at higher resolutions can be scaled down to lower resolutions.

The high refresh rates and response times of CRT monitors also makes them ideal for video purposes. Since the tubes are based on the same technology that is used in television sets, it makes sense that the video display of a monitor is better able to reproduce the fluid motion of video playback on the CRT.

Finally, the color clarity of CRT monitors cannot be matched by an LCD screen. With the myriad of adjustments that can be made to the contrast, brightness and hues, CRT monitors are better able to represent actual document colors. This is extremely important for individuals who work in either print or graphics industries. Having an accurate reproduction of the color of a document on the screen when it is printed can save a huge amount of hassle when it comes time to have documents published.

So, unless your limited on desktop space, or you're concerned with eye strains... I would sooooooo go with the CRT.

ok thanx, but he is 50 and i am watching for eye strain. He loves to play halo at high res and doom3 at high res but the LCD im getting him is maxed at 1600x1200 at 85hz. It is also DVI, whereas the monitor is not. thats why i didnt know which one to get. plus he is kinda tied for desk space, cause he uses dual monitors.

Consider getting a new desk? Lol... Other than that I guess you will just have to flip flop until you decide whats best for you. There ARE glasses that are supposed to prevent this "eye strain", and they also have screens that go over your monitor, to aid in preventing glare.

However, I can not recommend anything BUT a CRT if gaming is your intent. I personally have never experienced "eye strain" but, I am not 50 years old either.

Ermmm this is a toughy, just tell him that LCD's arent as good for gaming and then see what he says.

Nvidia Fan Boy, the way that I solved that problem for myself is that I use a 19" CRT for the few times that I play games and a 19" LCD for all other times. BTW, they usually go on sale around the holidays. I bought my Name Brand 19" LCD for $459 after $200 in rebates that I actually received in less than six weeks. This was during a Thanksgiving sale last year.

To be honest, a 15" anything is too small.. I know there will be people that say the 15" LCD will have as much screen space as a 17" CRT. They're right, but still too small for my taste. Hey I'm only 44 and trying to keep from having the eye strain.
Topscout

m3incorp said:
Nvidia Fan Boy, the way that I solved that problem for myself is that I use a 19" CRT for the few times that I play games and a 19" LCD for all other times. BTW, they usually go on sale around the holidays. I bought my Name Brand 19" LCD for $459 after $200 in rebates that I actually received in less than six weeks. This was during a Thanksgiving sale last year.

To be honest, a 15" anything is too small.. I know there will be people that say the 15" LCD will have as much screen space as a 17" CRT. They're right, but still too small for my taste. Hey I'm only 44 and trying to keep from having the eye strain.
Topscout

Purchasing 2 monitors isn't exactly practical... It is a hell of a lot of money shell out, and LCD just flat out... sucks!

*Edit*

Also, in general people aim to get the most "bang for their buck". This can be easily accomplished with the purchase of a CRT monitor. The only way I can see anyone purchasing an LCD is if they have a gun to their head. LOL!

Well he really loves LCD's and i saw another one that does the same thing as the 15" so i think im gonna get that one. Oh yea money really isnt a prob anymore cause i got my mom in on this and my sis is getting him a new desk. Wow lucky guy........ anyways. Hey the major why would you look at your monitor from the side? i only look at mine staight on. Idk ill talk to my mom about it. thanx guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom