Carrying a case?

danhodge

In Runtime
Sorry for all the threads recently, i just have a lot of questions/worries that keep popping up, being a first time computer builder.

I was wondering what your views on carrying a case around are, or maybe some guidelines?

For example, can anything be damaged (processor comes to mind) just by carrying my case up and down the stairs?

Or if i want to take it to Uni with me in 2 years, should i take it apart for the car journey, and make sure each part is individually wrapped, or will it be okay as it is?

My main worry is that the processor could wiggle around a bit, and damage the gold connector things (totally forgotten the name), but since it is 'clamped down', i am hoping it is wiggle-proof.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but i suppose it is 'Hardware repairs prevention', which kind of fits in ;)

Thanks again,
Danny

I'd be more worried about a large heat sink possibly "falling off" and damaging internal components. Some heat sinks screw the base of the heatsink on, but only hold the heat sink itself on by a few small plastic tabs.
That and loose hard drives... Make sure those are screwed in tight

Hardrives are mounted in a place where it can't physically reach the rest of the motherboard, and it is the stock heatsink that comes with the i5 2500 - the smallest i have ever seen.

Is the processor not going to move around, then? For example, if the case is in the car boot, and we go over a speed bump...

Very unlikely really, Carrying a case really shouldnt cause any damage unless its got some extreme parts in it, (heavy heatsinks, watercooling gear or very expensive components)
Asuming its self built, you'll have a very good idea of what it can handle because you built it.

Speed bumps, really, shouldn't even bother it at all.

The CPU is pinned under a heatsink and engaged in dozens of diferent holes, its not going anywhere :)

Should have no problem. I can't tell you how many times I've had to transport computers when I worked in a shop for a living, never had any issues. Smaller heatsinks like the stock ones aren't that heavy and are secured very well as long as the brackets are clamped correctly.

If you are at all concerned about any loose parts in general however, I would place it on its side with the front of the mobo facing upwards if space allows.

yeah it should be fine.. I've toted mine around to a few friends houses and it's still living :tongue:

You might consider putting it on a passenger or rear seat as opposed to the trunk (boot) because hard drives are fragile and hitting speed bumps with the pc bouncing around in the back might damage the drive even if it is bolted down securely. Hard drives are very fragile and should be treated as such

You might consider putting it on a passenger or rear seat as opposed to the trunk (boot) because hard drives are fragile and hitting speed bumps with the pc bouncing around in the back might damage the drive even if it is bolted down securely. Hard drives are very fragile and should be treated as such

Anytime I moved my tower, I strapped it into the front seat with a seat belt, haha.

Moving around the computer is perfectly fine long as everything is screwed down and installed properly. I have been going to LANs since 2003 with various cooling setups and everything was fine. Now that I have a closed loop water setup and an SSD I kind of toss it around now.

Back
Top Bottom