HP Pavillion 6704 help

clearwtrbeach

Beta member
My hp pavillion 6704, purchased in jan 2008 with the extended plan. Of course a week after that ended my daughter spilled on my keyboard. I put it in storage until last summer, when I decided to just use an external keyboard.
It needs a battery so I used the AC plug in, even though it seemed you had to be careful how well it would fit to charge. Ok, still willing to work through that.
However, one day it started just power cycling and wouldn't stop even after it was unplugged, it wouldn't allow me to hard shut it down. I had to wait until what battery was left ran out and tried again, with the same results. I took the battery out and put it back the next day, still the same. After much searching the internet with so many "results" I'm trying this site for help.
I'm wondering a few things. 1. could it be the mother board, bios, hard drive? I can't afford another lap top and I'm using a dinosaur 256K pc! I could if I knew which part was bad probably replace it ( I did replace a mother board once on my other PC), I just don't want to keep buying parts it may not need.
2. If I can't fix it, is there a way to hook it to my OLD PC to recover the data off of it, and if so how?
thank you in advance

one question, does the laptop display anything on the screen when you power it on?
now to answer your questions;
1: since something was spilled on it it could be the motherboard. The BIOS chip is located on the motherboard so broken motherboard = broken bios, broken bios=broken motherboard,either or.
The hard drive wouldent have anything to do with the problems your listing but it could still be broke depending on whether the liquid got to it or not.
Replacing a laptop motherboard is nothing like replacing a PC motherboard, in most cases you have to practically take the entire case off the laptop which isnt easy. but first you have to find a replacement motherboard.
2: yes, you can remove the hard drive ( assuming said drive isnt bust) and hook it up to your PC via an adapter which you could purchase from ebay, amazon ect ect ,nce you know the connection type of the drive in question. should you fix the laptop there are also multiple ways to connect it to a PC, USB connections, wireless connections Even serial connections are possible, all manor of things, but first you have to fix the laptop.

When it power cycles the microsoft logo comes up, then goes away as it rapidly tries to keep power cycling.
I should have been more clear, so after my daughter spilled on it I put it in storage for a good year plus. I then used my external keyboard and mouse (only a few keys didn't work on the lap top) with out any problems for about a year before having this new problem.
Hope this helps shed some more light.

honestly i dont think theres much you can do to save the laptop, it sounds ( very untechically) like its simply died. finally given up the ghost. the problem sounds like theres something wrong with the motherboard but it could be any number of problems and because its a laptop the problems would be very hard to both diagnose and fix so the best thing you can probably do is attempt to get all your data off the harddrive and then take it to a computer repair shop to see if they can tell you whats wrong by opening the thing up and/or using professional diagnostics software.
sorry i can be of more help but laptop hardware problems are usually un-fixable.

try something like this to get your data off the HDD ( sorry its amazon, i live in england ^.^ )
http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bipra-SATA-Adapter-Power-Drive/dp/B001A5SK56/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347612101&sr=8-2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom