Can't surf internet with laptop

If you already read my post I just edited it because the ethernet needs to be unplugged during those steps so that we can make an accurate diagnosis

Things get stranger.

I just remembered i have a LiveTV service I use with modem thru my Cable Provider. Tried the laptop to see if it will connect wirelessly to that. It worked!! ????

So now I just can't connect wirelessly to my DSL service. Huh? Is something blocked or is the router faulty? I'm at a loss.......

the router could be faulty or there could be restrictions set up for your IP/MAC addresses

Well here's updated test, with ethernet unplugged completely for all computers.

2i6ie0w.png

Yeah, I'm baffled, Maybe modem/router is broken, but doesn't work just for my internal wireless?

you could try doing a factory reset on the router and see if that fixed the problem

I might try that although is it tough to get my connection back? Or will it happen automatically?

I'm heading down to a Starbucks later with my laptop. I want to see make sure I can connect ok there...we'll see what happens.

Is it a modem/router provided by your ISP or is it a stand alone router you purchased? If it was provided by your ISP you would have to re-enter your username and password provided by your ISP. If its a stand-alone router then it's probably set up through dhcp or automatic configuration which would be extremely easy

Super, it has NOTHING to do with the router.

It's most likely not his wireless adapter. Super has established it get's an ip and dns and he can ping the router. He didn't respond yet with the ability to ping google. Super is right it could be a router/configuration issue and on top of that, it could just be a software issue (such as a a virus that has attached itself relating to that adapters settings)

BTW I don't recommend he reset the router, not yet anyway. Likely and especially since it is dsl, in the event that pppoe is on his router, resetting the router could cause someone who doesn't know networking to run into problems for him since he doesn't know networking. I would suggest that first he remove the drivers for the external wireless adapter and then remove the drivers for the internal, reinstall the internel adapter drivers and go from there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom