HDD Video Playback Issues

ImTorey

Banned
I have a 500GB External Seagate goflex usb hdd and when i play videos (only on my pc) every once in a while it will kind of stutter , the video will pause for a quick second then play fast to catch up and be normal for a few minutes then it will happen again, anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? if i play it on my tv it plays normal and my cpu/ram etc is all at minimal use when playing the video idk wut the deal is.

I have had similar issues when playing music off of my extra, internal hard drive. The drive would spin down, then spin back up, then I had my music back.

Try this: Go into Power Settings, Advanced Settings, Click on the [+] next to "Hard disk", Click on the [+] next to "Turn off hard disk after", Then change the setting to Never or zero (0).

I have had similar issues when playing music off of my extra, internal hard drive. The drive would spin down, then spin back up, then I had my music back.

Try this: Go into Power Settings, Advanced Settings, Click on the [+] next to "Hard disk", Click on the [+] next to "Turn off hard disk after", Then change the setting to Never or zero (0).

Thanks, I'll give this a try about to watch an episode of Nikita will post back with the results.

That setting won't help unless you have left the drive for awhile.

First, we need to know the type of files your playing, codecs, size, bitrate, all that. I have some video files that won't play with out stuttering on a 7200RPM drive, you could certainly forget those on an external drive of any form, especially if they are 5400-5900RPM drives on USB 2.0.

Also, perform a checkdsk /r on the external drive to check for any possible errors.

624x352 avi is the video clip i was just using to test it, I checked the disk for errors and cleaned it etc today. And like i said its only like once every maybe 10-15 minutes just dont get what would cause that.

even a pentium 4 with integrated video ought to be able to handle that kind of file so it's probably not a system limitation.

is the stuttering consistent? eg: if you pause and rewind, will the stuttering happen again in the same spot? if so, you might just have a crappy file.

What codec and player are you using specifically? Have you tried updating your codec packs, have you given VLC a try, even though it likes to throw jitters once in awhile?

No its not consistent its completely random it just happens all the time when i use my alt hdd im using klite codec pack 32 adn 64 bit versions installed and using wmp / media player classic happens on both.

I'm gonna have to agree with c0rr0sive ... External hdds usually don't have the greatest speed but on top of that going through a USB 2.0 port doesn't help at all... Try copying the files to your internal hdd and see if you still have the issue during playback

Back
Top Bottom