High(er) End Gaming rig: Updates INC! Suggestions/Comments requested

dio9419

Beta member
Hello everyone, long time reader, first time poster!

Let me give you a brief computer building history: I have built myself two completely new (components and all) Intel based rigs. Also, I have used my hand-me-down parts to help out friends in need and upgraded their computers probably a dozen times. I usually go a few months before I decide to swap something out or upgrade somehow... last for me was a new SSD. I wouldnt say "I know what I'm doing" completely... but decent at plugging chords into sockets and pretty good at reading forums/reviews!

So my next step isnt a completely new computer.. as the components I have currently are still pretty high end. What I want to do is swap out my CPU... to a different socket... which means new mobo... and new RAM (likely going from triple channel to dual).

No real budget to this... I plan on pulling the trigger as soon as my bonus hits my bank account (Early October).

As for now, its just a gaming rig... but after I get out of the military about this time next year, I am looking at possibly going to school for something along the lines of animation. Something crazy wants me to be able to point out something in a video game and say.... that was me... I took a drawn design and made it that.

My current rig:

CPU: Core i7-950
MoBo: ASUS P6X58D Premion LGA 1366
RAM: (2) Corsair DOMINATOR 6 GB (3x2gb) DDR3 1600 triple channel (making a total of 12 GB)
GPU: 2x EVGA 560 Ti 448
PSU: Corsair HX series 1000w
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
CPU Fan: Cooler Master V8
Storage: OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD / Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

What I am partial to.... is ASUS mobos... because I have used them each build and have had no issues. I would like to stick with Corsair memory for the same reason. I am a little confused with how the dual/triple/quad channel memory works. And as far as CPU... 2600... seems to be the best bang for buck and pretty highly recommended by a few sites.

I was looking at replacing with these:
Core i7-2600k
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8gb) DDR3 1600

Also.. on a side note... I have been having a small issue recently using dual screens (using 27" ASUS monitors) that when I play games (multiple games have had same issue) and use the other screen to view a browser with a video playing... my computer randomly takes a dump. Usually to a blue screen showing memory dump or seldomly, freezes for about 15 sec, followed by a restart. I would like to avoid this issue if at all possible, but I dont think the hardware is at fault. Anyway to pinpoint this and try to get around to fixing it would be awesome. Its odd.. because I can have like... facebook or pandora page up on open screen and have no problems... but if I put a movie on or someone streaming a game... doesnt like that one bit.

Thanks in advance to all the knowledgable people out there that take your time to point the noobs in the right direction.

If budget really isn't an issue then go for the 3770k and a Z77 board.

If you are going with the 1155 platform then don't worry about dual, triple or quad channel RAM.

As for the RAM... is the dual, triple and quad channel only for the newest MoBos? I might take a look at what you suggested... Seeing the difference in CPUs is pretty easy, but MoBos... they try to use fancy new terms and such I suppose for marketing reasons. Any translators that can help tell me the difference between the boards.

Triple channel was only on the X58 platform which is EOL now (dead). Quad channel is for the current X79 platform which is pointless.

The Z77 boards use dual channel. Any mobo with the features you want would suffice. Most all OC decently.

Right now, I've got 2 sets of triple channel on my x58... I am going to replace them regardless, but would using triple channel ram on a MoBo that isnt designed for it... would it still be compatible and just not as quick or just not work at all? I plan on using at least larger sticks than the 2gb ones I have.

The sticks physically are the same as the rest. You can use that RAM in your new build if you like as it doesn't matter. The channels have to do with the board/platform only.

Back
Top Bottom