Random BSOD on new(ish) computer

JustinBoSc

Solid State Member
Hi TF, I have recently started having problems with a pc I built around last Christmas. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

Specs:
Windows 7 Home 64 bit
AMD Phenom 965
Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws
WD Caviar Blue 500GB
XFX Radeon HD6850
Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W

Frequently, on what appear to be completely random occasions, I will get the BSOD. I don't believe this is heat related, since my temps range anywhere from 30-40c at idle (depending on ambient temps), and I have never seen it go above high 50s under load. To make sure, I put my pc next to an ac vent and crashed when temps were around the mid 30s.

I don't believe it has ever happened at idle, but it doesn't take much for it to occur. It pretty much always happens when playing a game (any game, not just one), and it often happens when installing updates, doing a virus scan, etc.

I've tried reinstalling windows multiple times to no avail. Originally I used a 60GB SSD as the boot disc, however once the problems started I tried using my WD HDD and it still occurs.

I have not overclocked this PC before, and all BIOS settings are set to stock/auto

Because this seems to only occur under some type of load, I am thinking it could be bad memory. However I have also considered that it could be a faulty PSU or even a bad CPU core.

Although this could be unrelated, I'm also having issues installing Windows updates. Since my fresh Windows install earlier today I have been trying to install the Windows updates and almost every time one of them will fail. I don't believe it is always the same one either. It will usually successfully install a handful of them and then one will eventually fail.

So sorry for the super long post, just wanted to give as much info as possible. If anyone has some thoughts it would be a huge help, as I'm a little lost on this one...

Well I downloaded memtest earlier and started to run it and within 3 minutes it had generated 5k errors. I'm assuming thats not good lol, although I don't exactly know how to read the information it's showing. I can post a picture of the memtest if anyone cares to take a look but it's only been running for 15 mins so far.

Anyways I have a few questions,

When I walked away from my PC it said Pass: 0 Errors: 5352. This seems bad right?

In the top right it has a pass % and a test %. Am I to assume that when those reach %100 the test is done? Or does it run continuously. If so, should I let it run for 12 hours or just stop it after it hits %100.

Finally, it's showing my CPU speed as 3685 MHz. The specs on my processor are 3.4 GHz and I've never overclocked this computer. Does this mean it is somehow overclocking itself? I'm not certain but I believe my MOBO has some automatic overclocking tools that I assumed were turned off by default. Is it possible that memtest is giving an inaccurate reading? And if not does anyone know what I should be looking for in the BIOS to disable this feature? I would rather leave it at stock speeds to keep temps lower.

Again, thanks so much for the assistance :)

EDIT: I forgot one :)

With this many errors is it safe to assume both sticks are bad? If not is there a way to identify which one is bad or do I need to run the test on them individually to find out.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I ended the test after 23 million errors were found lol. I took one stick out and restarted and no errors yet. I'm gonna let it run all night but it seems like that one stick was the problem. I'll post the results tomorrow.

Ok so I finished the test on the single stick without any errors. When it was done, I swapped in the second stick and it found a couple thousand errors within a few seconds so I didn't even bother finishing the second test.

Assuming that had to be the issue, I reinstalled my second HDD and GPU and loaded up Diablo 3 and it crashed again within 5 minutes.

:Deskflip:

This time it didn't blue screen, however. The screen just went black and flashed a few times, gave some white noise, and rebooted.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Thanks for the link Mike, I'm starting the RMA right now.

Last edited:
Ok so I finished the test on the single stick without any errors. When it was done, I swapped in the second stick and it found a couple thousand errors within a few seconds so I didn't even bother finishing the second test.

Assuming that had to be the issue, I reinstalled my second HDD and GPU and loaded up Diablo 3 and it crashed again within 5 minutes.

:Deskflip:

This time it didn't blue screen, however. The screen just went black and flashed a few times, gave some white noise, and rebooted.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Thanks for the link Mike, I'm starting the RMA right now.

No problem.
If it restarted very quickly and made a off air tv sound during reboot, look and see if you may need to update your sound card drivers.
Next, update your video card to some stable ones from ati.com.
Lastly we know its a ram problem, you and I both know that, but make sure your cpu/vga is not overheating and there is not alot of dust to cause all of this.

I'll try updating the sound card drivers. When I did a fresh Windows install I got the latest GPU drivers so I don't think that is causing it.

I'm also getting a little more concerned with my temps. Although I've never seen them get dangerously high, they do seem to be a little erratic sometimes. One minute it will be idling around 33 and then it will quickly go up to the low 40s without me opening any programs or anything. I'll try downloading another temp monitor to see if it gives different readings.

And I clean my case pretty regularly so there's no dust buildup or anything.

Based on your second post and memtest stating that your processor is running way higher than rated, you should really double check to see it's running at the correct speed, download something such cpu-z here. I've never heard of a cpu/motherboard overclocking itself however but it's worth checking on as memtest should not be misjudging your cpu speed by that much if at all.
And to answer that question, yes, an overclocked cpu and/or motherboard can cause memory to show errors. As can , incorrect speed settings or voltages of ram. The fact that one of your ram sticks isn't having that problem though would be odd if it were an overclock issue. Also, did you ever put the stick 2 (the one that didn't show errors) into the slot where stick 1 was and run memtest? I read what you posted a couple times and it doesn't sound like you did that, you could possibly have a bad ram slot on the board, so check that too.

Back
Top Bottom