Latest high perf gaming build $1400

ram (at same speed and CAS) is ram. go for the one that is cheaper.

a full tower is a very large case. a mid tower will be cheaper and still be plenty of room.

i have never used an asrock mb, but people say that since the z68 line and newer they are good motherboards. you probably dont need very many features in a motherboard.

if you can find a samsung spinpoint f3 for cheaper than the wd black, i would go for that.

Whats everyone think of ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mobo? Whats the difference between the Z77 and Z75 boards? Also I'm not sure what PSU to get now, is the gold certified worth it?

The HX750 you already have listed is fine.

Thanks again I'm in the final stages of picking a new build and have just a few questions

1. Whats the diff between Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard and Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
is it just the number of PCI-E 3.0 slots or is there other stuff to warrant the $10 more cost.

2. Is it really important that I get a 80 GOLD certified PSU or a Bronze one? More efficiency means more power savings and less cost for electricity right? Is it not enough though?

3. For my SSD (Samsung 830) I will put my OS and all the games I use on it and just use the WD black cav as a storage device. I'm not going to encounter any problems putting all my games on the SSD right? I heard theres some write/read issues if the games are on the same drive as the OS with SSD any truth to that?

Last edited:
Thanks again I'm in the final stages of picking a new build and have just a few questions

1. Whats the diff between Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard and Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
is it just the number of PCI-E 3.0 slots or is there other stuff to warrant the $10 more cost.

2. Is it really important that I get a 80 GOLD certified PSU or a Bronze one? More efficiency means more power savings and less cost for electricity right? Is it not enough though?

3. For my SSD (Samsung 830) I will put my OS and all the games I use on it and just use the WD black cav as a storage device. I'm not going to encounter any problems putting all my games on the SSD right? I heard theres some write/read issues if the games are on the same drive as the OS with SSD any truth to that?
1. For starters, you don't need to worry about PCI-E 3 unless you have multiple 680s or 7970s. The main difference between the two is you can do Crossfire or SLI on the Xtreme 4.

2. It isn't the fact that it is gold certified. It is the sheer quality of the PSU. Corsairs OEM is Seasonic (for AX, TX, and HX line) and they add on more to make it even better. The efficiency is it can hold its wattage for a longer period of time without failing or have a serious amount of ripple. Without getting into a serious explination ripple is when the wattage on a line dips below the specified volts because there is too much load and so on. With too much ripple there can be problems and things can fry due to under or over power. Lower quality PSUs tend to have lower quality parts causing more ripple or provide less than advertised volts to your parts.

3. There is nothing wrong with loading your games and programs on the SSD long as you have enough space.

Thanks for the answers

I think I'm actually going to go with the ASUS P8Z77-V LK instead of the ASRock z77 extreme 4 since theres a sale on newegg ($20 prepaid card) and it's $130 vs $115. No other reason, except the ASROCk kind of has that whole budget mobo persona so I guess ill go with the ASUS one unless anyone has any objections? the ASRock didn't do too hot on the Anandtech tests but it was comparing it against a ASUS Pro mobo: AnandTech - Intel Z77 Motherboard Review with Ivy Bridge - ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI

I still have no idea what the difference is... :-(

actually I'm deciding on going with the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H since it's only $150 on Amazon with no sales tax and I get prime shipping, everyone like that mobo? The Giga, ASUS, and ASRock Z77 boards all seem similar ( especially since Anandtech couldn't pick a clear winner ) so I might as well go with the one that has the best VRMs and has the highest OC world record.

Giga UD3H - $150
Asus LK - $143 after tax
ASRock - $123 after tax

Thanks for all your help guys!

Back
Top Bottom