"Thanks" mod

Re: Software change - Forum changes today

Yes the post will have a box under it.

2q9lwll.jpg

This is the Mod I am trying to get implemented. You get a button and from there it creates a box that you can Expand.

[AJAX] Post Thank You Hack - vBulletin.org Forum

That is the mod that is compatible with our site as it stands right now. It might not be exactly the same, but you can see that it will show for individual posts who thanked the person. So members new and old can see how and who has thanked.

Curious, will the thanks system show that a post in the community was supported by other members of the community?

I don't mind loosing the rep system, but, the intent was to help make it so a user could see a post from another user in the support sections, and this could help them understand that the user isn't seen as a moron around here.

Not sure exactly how the "thanks" system would work in that particular regard.
The problem with the current rep system is as what they said. Members can rep for whatever and 2 friends can bump their rep up for nothing. Not only that, but we don't want newcomers thinking that they shouldn't listen to one person just because their green bar isn't high. I only have 3 boxes, but that doesn't mean my intelligence on the subject is flawed compared to somebody else who might not know as much. The rep system IMO has always been flawed in this aspect, as is post count.

And even a new member can be more intelligent than the other with 5 boxes.

I think I now see how this is actually better in the long run.

I know the flaws of the system, it's why people was supposed to work together, but if you look at it, a lot of posts could get repped and others ignored and so on.

I like the idea of the new system honestly, so I wouldn't mind loosing rep.

2q9lwll.jpg

This is the Mod I am trying to get implemented. You get a button and from there it creates a box that you can Expand.

That is the mod that is compatible with our site as it stands right now. It might not be exactly the same, but you can see that it will show for individual posts who thanked the person. So members new and old can see how and who has thanked.

Your hacking?! :lol:

Umm, btw, when you press the button to quote someone, why doesn't it go in the quick reply?

My rep isn't proportional to how many posts I have due to tons of previous immaturity. Before I liked the rep system because I could see what I was getting rep on which is why I asked about it. I wanted to know what exactly I was helping on. Thing is, most new people can't rep for things they want so if a thanks button alleviates that problem and they can directly thank a post it might work out better. I'm pretty 50/50.

Yeah, I liked the rep system because you could comment on why you repped the post.

What we already have is nothing more than a popularity contest. People would rep others just to get their rep up and make their rep power higher. It is in no way a real reflection of the people or their posts. So what difference does it make if we use it or lose it? As PP said, the current system is setup so that new members are not giving credit when they rep, but the person can see that they got it from them.

The Thanks system will be done right on the forum and for everyone to see. So if I thanked the post above, you would see it and everyone who came to the site would see that PP was Thanked by KSoD for that post. It is not something hidden in a user profile for only them to see, it is no something that a few boxes under a username can truly represent.

You don't want to see what we have go, that is fine. You can have your opinion on the matter. But just know that doesn't mean you will be excluded from it when it happens, cause it is most likely going to happen. I am pushing for it cause I like that system much better and if you go into any topic on XDA you will see how much more efficient it really can be.

I guess the thank system would be better. I just wasn't sure how it worked because all of the forums I use implement a rep system similar to TF's current. The big flaw I've found with the rep system is having to constantly "spread the love" before I could rep a member again. Even when they were giving REALLY good advice and deserved the rep.

2q9lwll.jpg

I like that system. Kinda like the "like" button on Facebook. :D

I believe that the reputation system needs revision and that the thanks system will be superior. I'm all for the change.
I wonder if Mak suggested this change solely because he has maxed out his green bar.
Kidding of course.

Off topic: Where did the smileys go? :(

I like the idea... I use it all the time on another site I slink around... MVGroup

The one they use is tweaked to look a little better, and they list the users names underneath the thanks button instead of the "click to expand"

If your interested in looking, go under the latest releases tab and hit the first one that comes up. it'll show you at the bottom of the first post.
http://forums.mvgroup.org/index.php?

Back
Top Bottom