Need Reinstall Windows Me Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genderhawk

Beta member
As of late my computer has been acting up lately. Desktop folders wont open programs freeze for no particular reason and games wont work, everything is just messed up. I have tried running Norton Antovirus 2004 and it finds 3 possible adware threats but no real dangerous viruses. The guys at my local comp tech stoe want $250 to reinstall windows and clean my comp up/give me a system restore disk. Now my question is i have a Windows ME disk, can i reinstall it myself? it can delete all my programs, but at the same time if i reinstall it will it get rid of all the problems at the same time, whatever adware or viruses that i have. All advie appreciated.

Genderhawk

Your best option if you have to reinstall windows me then the best option is save your data on another hard drive, wipe your orginal one, by deleting the partiton, recreating the partition, and then installing windows.

Ok...wow.

1st: The computer techs are full of crap, it takes 2 hours at the most to do this.

2nd: Dont do anything until you download www.lavasoftusa.com the free version of AD-AWARE
A: Once you have the personal version installed, check for updates. Then click "Start." Then find "Customize" check all of the computers Hard Drive and make sure "Scan within archives" is checked. After all of that scan and Quarantine anything the scan found and then delete it and the backups (a little lock Icon on the top of the screen).

3rd: If that doesnt work, do you know how to reformat a computer?

i suggest like said before run the newest version of adaware, if that doesnt do it then i would reformat the HD,reload windows ME then by an upgrade to XP for about $80, ME is a very unstabile OS in todays enviroment

Reformat

Hey
Its really easy to reformat and reinstall.Just put your win ME disk in the cdrom and restart your computer when it starts restaeting if your computer is set up right it will boot off your cd ron if not there are a few different options for booting off the cdrom.You can try tapping the F12 key as soon as the computer starts booting and when the menu comes up pick the boot off the cdrom.
If that dosnt work when the puter boots tap the delete key to go into your bios and set the boot options to boot from the A: first CDRom 2nd Hard drive 3rd then tap F10 to save and exit.Then restart.Once it boots just follow the menu and do a install.If that dosnt explane everything let me no and Ill try to explane more.

Come to think of it Im not sure if windows Me will give you the option to format.If not get a windows 98 disk or a hard drive disk like the western digital diag disk and use that for reformating.

if u have the Win Me & the Cd is bootable u can format ur C partition ...
but as u boot with the CD-rom support go 2 the CD rom & enter the installation folder of the winME & u can format it ...
u can reinstall the win me without formating ( if u have no Adwares or viruses ) it will b good if theere r problems just in the system ... u can install it from the folder c:\windows\install\setup.exe

Heres a suggestion that might save you haveing to reformat your drive...get a little program called Registry Healer....I've found this little piece of software can cure 90% of the errors i've had on my machine and it might work just as well for your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom