First Computer Build (in Germany) I'm back

TenZGya

Solid State Member
Hey all, I got some great tips back at the beginning of the year for my first build. I ended up putting off the whole thing waiting for Ivy Bridge to come out and am now back at it.

Here's my updated plan:

Intel Core i5-3570K
ASUS P8H77-M LE
8GB-Kit Corsair 1600Mhz CL9
Mini Coolermaster Elite 342
Sapphire HD 7770 1GB
550W LC-Power LC6550 V2.2
SATA3 500GB 7200 WD 16MB Cache
Samsung SH-S222BB DVD-RW SATA

Thoughts?

Last edited:
WHy not spend a bit extra and grab the 3570k?

GPU is weak, and that PSU doesn't have enough wattage to push the system.

I wouldn't waste time and money on the Momuntus myself.

I wasn't sure it's worth the 50 bucks. Sure, it's not THAT much, but every little upgrade ends up adding to the bottom line. I'm not that serious of a gamer and already had the feeling that I was pushing the bank with the current build.

If I had to pick between getting a better CPU or GPU, which should I do? For a better GPU maybe the 7770?

I had thought that 400W would be enough (especially with such an efficient PSU - 80 plus gold) - do I need 500W? Maybe a Corsair GS Series, 500 Watt?

Okay, I see that the cheap hybrid drive that I was looking at is actually slower than a newer standard hard drive. So SSD isn't worth it? If not then maybe a Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's

GPU would be a better upgrade. Actually, if you can find a 2500k cheaper then go ahead and get that. I know you have been waiting for IB, but really if the budget doesn't permit you don't want to get an awesome CPU then make it not worth it by cheaping out on the GPU.

Even if the PSU is efficient you can't suck more juice out of thin air :p Both cards require a 500w or greater. If you can grab a Corsair GS then that would be much better than under powering your system.

SSD is worth it, hybrids are not. An SSD can be 2-5x quicker than a standard drive in raw speed alone, but the access and seek time is where the real speed is. In the time it would take a regular drive to move the head and spin the platter to search for your file the SSD already has it loading. If you already have some other form or HDD then I would get a 120GB SSD or a size around that area.

Why would I want to get a 2500k? It has a lower benchmark than the 3450 and I'm not planning on overclocking. I think I will get the 3570K though, because I found a good deal on one.

So would I still be skimping with 550W or is that actually enough?

Is the 7770 enough of a graphics card that it won't bottle-neck the whole system?

Okay, I think I'm just going to get a normal HDD right now and maybe get an SSD later that's at least big enough for my OS.

Motherboard question: Since I'm not planning on overclocking - H77 is more than enough, right? And when getting a motherboard, since I'm not planning on getting a second GPU, I suppose I don't need Pro, but do I even need standard? Couldn't I drop down to LE or LX? What would I lose there?

Thanks for the help:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom