Attaching workstation PCI express cards to a laptop using usb 3.0

seecheckstuff

Beta member
Hi guys, I've got quite a powerful laptop(i7, solid state drive), but it just isn't cutting it for video editing. I would like to attach a proper desktop pci express card to it via the usb 3.0 port. Is this possible? I know that there are expresscard interface solutions, but my laptop doesn't have one of these ports! Help please!

How about this: there are loads of external graphics cards which connect to the expresscard slot. I do not have one off these. However, I could fit a usb to express card adapter. The problem with these? They only support usb based expresscards, so pci based expresscards will be ignored.

So, does anyone know of a usb to expresscard adapter that is compatible with pci based expresscards?

Again, thanks for all the help.

I think you won't get much improvement.. if it even works.

Best question is... What are your issues for editing?
An i7 mobile should edit just fine, despite people thinking there are specific uses for types of computers, there's not. It may take longer than a octo core server, but it'll do it.

Knowing the issue you are trying to over come will be alot more helpful.

AFAIK, no, you can not do this. Laptops are not for video editing.

Really? That's news to me and several hundred professional video editors. While not every laptop is suitable for editing video (as many lappies are bareboned and sold as cheap as possible), you can use a laptop the exact same way as a desktop for this task and any other for that matter.

Try to weigh your comments before you post them, m;kay?

Really? That's news to me and several hundred professional video editors. While not every laptop is suitable for editing video (as many lappies are bareboned and sold as cheap as possible), you can use a laptop the exact same way as a desktop for this task and any other for that matter.

Try to weigh your comments before you post them, m;kay?

I meant the latter, Trotter. Just because it has an i7 doesn't mean it is good for video editing.

I meant the latter, Trotter. Just because it has an i7 doesn't mean it is good for video editing.

You need to clarify that and not just make a general statement that all laptops cannot edit videos. My ultrabook does an amazing job with video.

What's the specific make and model of the laptop?

Back
Top Bottom