My first gaming build -- Need opinions (and help)

SapphireInfernoMedia

Beta member
I have a budget of around $800, it isn't a fixed amount I am willing to spend a bit more if the need arises.

My current thoughts:

Case - LXe-W Black - Velocity Micro Signature Aluminum Case (Already owned)
CPU/Processor - Intel core i5-2500k ($199.99)
Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 ($139.99)
Power Supply - Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 RS620-SPM2E3-US 620W 80 plus Bronze certified ($119.99)
Memory (RAM) - G Skill Values Series 8Gb (2 x 4Gb) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 ($39.99)
Video card - MSI, Nvidia Geforce GTX 660ti 2Gb 192-bit GDDR5 ($309.99)
Storage - Western Digital 1TB intellipower SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ($99.99)
DVD burner - ASUS 24x DVD burner - Bulk 24x DVD+R 8x DVD+RW 12x DVD+R DL 24x DVD-R 6x DVD-RW 16x DVD- ROM 48x CD-R 32x CD-RW CD-ROM ($19.99)

Total -- $930 (Based on Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, HDTVs, Digital Cameras and More!)

I need to bring that amount down to something much closer to $800 but still have enough power to run games like Skyrim, Just Cause 2, RAGE, Saints Row: The Third, etc. on mostly high/ultra settings, if possible. I am new to the brilliant world of building a custom PC, but not to the world of using one. Need help with the decisions of the components to place within.
[h=1][/h]

I would get rid of that power supply, I would go with corsair, seasonic, antec and ocz.... they are much better than coolermaster and its under 100 dollars :) The rest looks pretty good, dont u need windows as well?

Thank you! I will take a look at other power supplies. Also, I have question, I want to overclock my components which is why I picked the 2500k and that MoBo (can I OC with that one?) but I am not sure how to safely do that, should I just get non OC supporting parts or try to OC it myself?

No problem at all :) honestly I don't have any experience with overclocking, the board u picked should be able to overclock no problem, let's wait and see if somebody help ya. Cheers

If you can afford the extra 30 bucks I would grab the 3570k instead, then again you said you wanted to lower the price. The only thing you can really do is drop the 660ti to lower the price as you can't really cut corners much anymore.

I second the PSU comment, you will want to get a Corsair, Antec, or Seasonic. I also support the Thermaltake Toughpower line as well.

To overclock you will also need an aftermarket heatsink.

Keep the processor & mobo. You can save $50 by switching graphics to the 7870, which will be almost identical in performance to the 660. The 660 will have a slight edge, but it's newer tech, so more $$. You can get great deals on quality PSUs (usually with rebates), such as this one, or the others makes already listed by other users here.

My only other thought... you can swap your HDD for a 120GB SSD at the same price, like this one. Huge improvements on performance for a gaming build, provided storage space is not a great concern. You can always add a HDD later when you can save up another $50 or so. It's a no-brainer for me. :D

Back
Top Bottom