Looking for SSD/HDD advice

Guttzu

In Runtime
I'm thinking about possibly upgrading to an SSD drive but my only concern is that my MB: Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard is really really old... I know SataIII is the way to go now but it looks like my MB is SataII I'm guessing? What would be a good SSD to get for my old butt MB lol? Would it be worth it to get a SataIII and just use it at SataII speeds and just keep it until I upgrade my CPU/MB or just not worry about it and maybe get a 500gb storage drive for now to store my movies on? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

I have an MSI X58 board with a OCZ vertex II 90gb drive. Before you load windows, check the bios to be sure that ahci is enabled
OCZ or Intels are good drives.

main advantage of ssds are its random read/write speeds. so unless you do a lot of file transferring, i wouldn't worry about sata2 bottle necking your ssd.

I'm thinking about possibly upgrading to an SSD drive but my only concern is that my MB: Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard is really really old... I know SataIII is the way to go now but it looks like my MB is SataII I'm guessing? What would be a good SSD to get for my old butt MB lol? Would it be worth it to get a SataIII and just use it at SataII speeds and just keep it until I upgrade my CPU/MB or just not worry about it and maybe get a 500gb storage drive for now to store my movies on? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
THe noticed difference between SATA2 and 3 is only seen in benchmarks. I have a Vertex 2 and my buddy has an Agility 3 both on similar rigs. He only loads windows .6 seconds faster than I do and we load BF3 and Skyrim (Skyrim same mods, same copy actually) at exactly the same time. The point of an SSD is to get away from the terribly slow mechanical drives. I go as far to say SATA1 SSDs are faster because they are just to give you an idea.

Thanks for the input guys! I play guild wars 2 and stream and record my gameplay. I want a solid SSD drive that I can count on to record footage then I can transfer it to a storage drive. Any suggestions on what SSD to get with my old MB? Is sata 3 backwards compatible? Maybe save up and get 2 ssd's? One for OS boot up and 1 for games/recording gameplay? Just looking for suggestions and what would be the best/most reliable ssd options.

Tell me what you guys think about these drives:
1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227813
2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167050
3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227795

Or just buy a Sata 3 better SSD and make sure it is backwards compatible? A lot of the good OCZ SSD's are out of stock on newegg :(

Last edited:
You can run any SATA device on any SATA port. I think we already answered that.
All of those SSDs you listed are pretty slow and aged. The Vertex Plus is actually slower than a Vertex 2.

I suggest something like an Agility 3, or Samsung 830.

Also, recording your games onto a 7200rpm drive is completely fine. I've done it several times.

I don't know how much you want to spend, but this is an other option.

Newegg.com - OCZ RevoDrive 3 series RVD3-FHPX4-240G PCI-E 240GB PCI-Express 2.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

With this you can avoid SATA altogether, its a board that plugs in PCI-e.
These SSDs are FAST. This one, like my original OCZ Revodrive 120gb run two sets of chips in RAID-0 which is a huge performance boost. This one is way better than mine too because it actually has TRIM. Although I have not had any problems without TRIM so far, I have only had my revodrive for 2 years. SSDs have really dropped in price, I payed $300 for my 120 Revo w/ no TRIM support and now you can get this 240GB w/ TRIM AND even higher peformance for $50 less. Anyway if bandwidth is a huge concern these things won't dissapoint. Do research first and be sure it is sure to work w/ your motherboard (they can be picky).

Back
Top Bottom