simple question, more cooling needed?

Milk_The_Elephnt

Baseband Member
buying a new system,
AMD FX 4100 with stock heatsink and fan
An ATI HD 7770
a Cooler master 600W PSU
and a Cooler Master Elite 430 Case OR a Sharkoon T9 not sure yet.

1: do i need to have a non-stock heatsink and and fan on the processor
2: which case? buying custom built and i can get the coolermaster with one 120mm fan or the sharkoon with three 120mm.

this is being used as a mid range gaming PC :)
cheers guys!

buying a new system,
AMD FX 4100 with stock heatsink and fan
An ATI HD 7770
a Cooler master 600W PSU
and a Cooler Master Elite 430 Case OR a Sharkoon T9 not sure yet.

1: do i need to have a non-stock heatsink and and fan on the processor
2: which case? buying custom built and i can get the coolermaster with one 120mm fan or the sharkoon with three 120mm.

this is being used as a mid range gaming PC :)
cheers guys!

By default the AMD heatsink will do you fine if you clean off the factory grease and use Arctic cooling MX 2 thermal paste or any leading brand thermal paste.
If you plan on over clocking, then I do recommend you look into a new heatsink with thermal paste.
Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS5X Performa 92mm FSB (Fluid Shield Bearing) Powerful Cooling Performance CPU Cooler
This one has very good rpm speed and your motherboard will adjust to it if you have AMD cool and quite up or you let it autoconfig itself in bios.

Spec
Type
Fan & Heatsinks
Fan Size
92mm
Compatibility
Intel LGA 1155 / 1156 / 775

AMD FM1 / AM3+ / AM3 / AM2+ / AM2
Bearing Type
FSB (Fluid Shield Bearing)
RPM
1400 ~ 2800rpm ± 10%
Noise Level
20 ~ 32dBA ± 15%
Power Connector
4 Pin
Heatsink Material
Pure Copper, Aluminum

Physical Spec
Weight
320g

Features
Features
Input Voltage: 12V

Function: PWM Control, Auto Restart

Three heatpipes and aluminum fins are designed for maximum cooling while cooler setup quickly expels hot air out of the case.

Pickup the cooler master elite case, to be honest, you would want any mild or intense heat coming from the cpu/heatsink to flow downwards out the back or have a side panel door with good ventalation to push out of it.
If you can, keep your room from becoming to humid during the day as it will cause problems for the computer over time meaning crash central from windows/linux due to it.

By default the AMD heatsink will do you fine if you clean off the factory grease and use Arctic cooling MX 2 thermal paste or any leading brand thermal paste.
If you plan on over clocking, then I do recommend you look into a new heatsink with thermal paste.
ok, i'll get that thermal paste then :)
definitely not overclocking at the moment, maybe in the future but then i'd make sure i bought a whole new cooling setup, new heatsink and extra case fans anyway.

Pickup the cooler master elite case, to be honest, you would want any mild or intense heat coming from the cpu/heatsink to flow downwards out the back or have a side panel door with good ventalation to push out of it.

the sharkoon looks better to me though...but the coolermaster has more room for fans...and as you said offers better air flow...ok...coolermaster it is i s'pose, performance over looks! fair deal ^.^

thanks for your help, i shall order soooon! *excited face* :p

you only probably need a 3rd party cooler if you plan to overclock more than a little bit.

if a case only has 1 120 mm fan, take that into account on the price. getting another one will cost about $12.

i wouldnt get that coolermaster psu.

you only probably need a 3rd party cooler if you plan to overclock more than a little bit.

if a case only has 1 120 mm fan, take that into account on the price. getting another one will cost about $12.

i wouldnt get that coolermaster psu.

that coolermaster case should be ok though right? i wont need to add more fans now?

ok... why not the coolermaster PSU? this is getting a bit frustrating now, already £5 over budget ( my budget is £600) if i get a 500W coolermaster PSU and i really cant afford to go right up to a 600W Corsair which would bring me to £644 :/

i do have the option to get an unbranded 700W if its the wattage thats the problem...

its not the wattage, its the quality.

550 watts on a quality power supply from antec corsair or seasonic will be fine, assuming you dont plan to sli or crossfire.

Back
Top Bottom